Adobe Acrobat 7 w/ All updates

pacardon

I've been through several Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Pro guides... but they never feel complete. XXSplit's Guide was close, but a little confusing. So I used his guide, a little bit of thinking to come up with this one. Which is exactly what I was looking for.

Step One: From your Adobe Acrobat CD run the following command:

x:\setup.exe /a

Place the admin update somewhere on your harddrive. "C:\Acrobat 7" for example

Step two: Download the latest updates 7.0.7 and 7.0.8

Create a folder on root c:\, call it "Acrobat Update"

Extract all the MSP files from the updates to this folder using winrar.

You should have three MSP files:

Ac705PrP_efgj.msp

Acro707.msp

Acro708.msp

Open a command prompt and browse to "C:\Acrobat Update"

Run the following commands:

msiexec /p Ac705PrP_efgj.msp /a "C:\Acrobat 7\AcroPro.msi" /qb!
msiexec /p Acro707.msp /a "C:\Acrobat 7\AcroPro.msi" /qb!
msiexec /p Acro708.msp /a "C:\Acrobat 7\AcroPro.msi" /qb!

Now for you unattended install you need to go download Installshield Tuner and install it.

When you run it, browse the the .itw on your Acrobat 7 CD, choose create new transform. The MSI file should be C:\Acrobat 7\AcroPro.msi

Go through and customize, add your CD key under Install Options, and under Preferences > Eula and Online Features tab, there is a checkbox to skip the EULA.

Your install command should look like this:

AcroPro.msi TRANSFORMS=AcroPro.mst /qb /norestart

If you don't want the progress bar and have it completely invisible:

AcroPro.msi TRANSFORMS=AcroPro.mst /qn /norestart

From here you can dump it onto your Custom XP DVD, stick it on network, burn a new disk, or make a 7zip installer to save space.

And remember, as Adobe releases updates, just extract the MSP and run this command to keep your install updated:

msiexec /p Acro7XX.msp /a "C:\Acrobat 7\AcroPro.msi" /qb!

ENJOY!

Edited by pacardon

good guide.

note about extracting the updates, if you have winrar, it can extract those files... no need to run the update and copy from temp folder.

i'm guessing winzip should also be able to extract those.

Sorry to steal your thunder, but there's a universal guide on how to slipstream MSPs into MSIs.

But what is good is that your guide is more specific to act

robat, filenames etc.

Btw, not

msiexec /p Acro7XX.msp /a C:\Acrobat 7\AcroPro.msi /qb!

but

msiexec /p "<Path_to_patch>\Acro7XX.msp" /a "C:\Acrobat 7\AcroPro.msi" /qb!

W/out quotes, it won't work if there are spaces in the path to AcroPro.msi.

For ppl who are wondering, if you can make an admin install w/standard edition, you can slipstream patches into it.

Edited by T D

meh. A lot of ppl switch to the free crap, but I can trust Adobe. the pro version has a LOT of powerful tools. It may be a bit slow but it's barely noticeable!

I've used a free one before. It's one of those portable ones you throw on a USB key (think it's called Foxit Reader). I only use it when I am working on another computer and it may not have a pdf reader. problem with those is that its not an installer (just a standalone app) and it makes a bunch of reg changes :realmad: to associate icons and who knows what else. At least I know if I want to uninstall adobe, I can. But anyways..... everyone has their own opinion about this.

Use an AutoIt script.

How??

Edited by atomicrabbit

First, be familiar w/AutoIt.

Use it to launch the install and make it wait for the Activation window to come up. When the window /wcorrect text comes up, make it simulate the keyboard keystrokes you need to make it click "Activate" or "Activate Online".

I scrapped Acrobat after switching to a PDF printer w/Foxit PDF reader so I lost my AutoIt script for actiavation. :( But you should be able to figure it out. :)

Or you can copy the folders/files from here C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe Systems

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\7.0\Cache

Or not C:\ but you know where I mean. You could put them in "$OEM$\$DOCS\Default User" or make a sfx archive. But your hardware can't differ too much if you use this method on another pc.

Sorry to steal your thunder, but there's a universal guide on how to slipstream MSPs into MSIs.

But what is good is that your guide is more specific to act

robat, filenames etc.

Btw, not

but

msiexec /p "<Path_to_patch>\Acro7XX.msp" /a "C:\Acrobat 7\AcroPro.msi" /qb!

W/out quotes, it won't work if there are spaces in the path to AcroPro.msi.

For ppl who are wondering, if you can make an admin install w/standard edition, you can slipstream patches into it.

Thanks for the tip... updating the guide. The <Path_to_patch> isn't really needed as I recommend you always execute the MSP from its folder. It is not required, but it is always easier, that way you only need to know where it is going, and not comming from because you are already there. So if the msp is in c:\acrobat\patches your command prompt will look like this when your run the command:

c:\acrobat\patches>

There are other guides on the Adobe Registration Stuff, you just pull .dat out of some folder and copy it back I believe. Don't know for sure.

<Path_to_patch> is needed. Say you pressed start>run and typed

There yould be an error message saying that "the installation package couldn't be opened" as you have specified the path to the msi, but not the msp. The msiexec /p Acro7XX.msp /a C:\Acrobat 7\AcroPro.msi /qb! would only work if you put it in a batch file in the same folder as the installation. So it will work from a cmd prompt but not start>run.

For ease of use, you could put

FOR %%f IN (*.msp) DO msiexec /p %%f /a .\AcroPro.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb
FOR %%f IN (*.msp) DO msiexec /p %%f /a .\AcroStan.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb

... or something like that.

Edited by T D

hy guys.. i've a problem.. i can't install 7.0.7 and 7.0.8 upgrade.. i can't install always.. not only in unattended setup..

When i do the upgrade, automatic, or manual, a windows say me that can't install this upgrade.. because there isn't a valid sequence.. but i already have installed 7.0.5 FULL upgrade..

why this??

I have Italian Version..

Another thing.. when i do the unattended installation, Acrobat is installed in Spanish version.. how can configure it for an italian installation?

My Acrobat setup infact contain 3 languages...

How can i select the right (italian) setup in unattended installation??

Thanks a lot!!!

Any luck on Google?

But the solution is more specific so you prob wouldn't find it.

Google Windows installer transforms file. Download Wise InstallTailor to create one w/italien options. Or you could google the one that was specifically designed for acrobat.

• 3 weeks later...