But I don't want to use NO-IP

Until recently, my IP address would go forever without changing unless I unplugged the modem, etc. I'm not interested in using third party services such as NO-IP.com. However, their IP update tool did catch my eye...Is there a utility out there, or a bit of script, that would let me know of an IP change with a taskbar notice?. After going over Google, I found one that sends an email--but if I opened the email, I might as well open the router page itself. It's no biggie to change the info on the site. I'd just like to know when the IP changes up front in real time. I have a weather site on a public server, with links to 2 webcams here at home--the cams aren't available when the address changes. I looked for info here too, but just saw stuff pertaining to NO-IP. Thanks. :)

Dyndns.org is another free Dynamic DNS service. I use it at home, and there's an added bonus - my router does the updating for me (WRT54GL). Anytime that the internet IP changes, the router automatically updates the dyndns.org servers.

• 1 month later...

Upon re-reading your post....

Samurize might have an option or a plugin that will allow you to show the external IP of your network on your desktop. Hopefully you might be able to find what you need.

I know that there's an AveScripter desklet for AveDesk that will show you your external IP.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Samurize might have an option or a plugin that will allow you to show the external IP of your network on your desktop.
It does have that. It is in the plugins section on the website.