RIS Boot Images

I believe with the tool RISME you can create bootable DOS disks which show up when booting from PXE boot disks. I just wondered if there are any other tools that can do this (either cheaper or for free).

Just wondered if anyone has used them, any problems using them and just any advise? Or is was it worth the money?

I know there is BARTPE, but im looking for a true DOS environment to be able too boot to.

RISME 2.0 is $30. You want cheaper than $30?

If you have a Windows 2000 RIS server, RISME 1.0 is free but only runs locally on a 2000 RIS server.

If your RIS server is 2003, you could set up a 2000 server inside a virtual machine just for building your images with RISME 1.0, then copy them to your 2003 server. For free virtual machine software, you can choose from VMware Server 1.0, Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, or VMware Player (using the open source qemu-img tool to generate a vmdk file and creating the vmx file in Notepad, since Player doesn't have a GUI for creating virtual machines from scratch).

Assuming that setting all of this up takes you 3 extra hours vs. buying RISME 2.0, then the question is whether your time is worth more than $10 per hour. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Your call.