What is the best software for image editing?

What is the best software for image editing?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Image Editors

• Photoshop
    • Paint.NNET
    • Tiny's Gfx
    • GIMP
    • ThumbPlus
    • Picasa (Google)
    • PaintShop Pro
    • Serif PhotoPlus
    • Others (please specify)

well...photoshop CS2 may be worth every penny...but you can get a dumbed down version for $119 called "Photoshop Elements". You just have to work a little harder to make nice gfx :)

• 2 weeks later...

Xara Xtreme is simply the best graphics software for all your drawing and day to day photo needs, ideal for both print and the web.

If you're looking for drawing software then Xtreme is a perfect solution for everything from simple logos to astonishingly detailed illustrations.

If you're working with photos then Xtreme will match your ambitions from simple one click auto-enhance of your photo through to awesome photo compositions.

If you are looking for software for creating web graphics then Xtreme can help you produce all the graphics you'll need for your site, from smart and sharp navigation buttons to eye catching animated GIFs.

Whatever graphics you need and whatever your skill level, the famously friendly user interface and fast processing of Xara Xtreme will make it an absolute pleasure to be creative. And at a price that won't break the bank!

http://www.xara.com/products/xtreme/

It's a UK company, but they are quoting US $79.oo.

US $79 = 42.91 Britian pound

Pretty close to your budget. You have to try this program to believe it. Recommended . :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

hmm.. i've tried a few of the programs on the list in the poll.

None of them really compare to Photoshop in my eyes.

I started out using paint shop pro. Its really not a bad program at all. Those who really learn how to use it can really do beautiful things with it. If you are on a tight budget..then thats what I would recomend.

After I tried photoshop however, I dont ever want to go back to using paint shop pro again lol. Instead of going for the new CS version of it you could try searching for older versions such as 7.0 which I have. Or try to buy it from places like Ebay in order to get it for less ^-^

You could become an eminent GIMP dude, GIMP does a lot of the things photoshop does, it's just much harder to work with imo.

Photoshop 7 does almost the same as CS and CS2, so you could find a good deal on ebay or amazon.

Another vote for PS CS2! Elements is "good enough" for most people (my dad's extremely happy with it), but if you have a previous legit copy of photoshop, the upgrade is not much more expensive. For a photographer, it's definitely worth the 150$! (Like I said in another thread, I upgraded from a copy of PS 5 LE that came bundled with a P&S digicam I bought to complement my DSLR a while ago)

Not that pricey really, and it's truly better than everything else, by FAR. Nothing comes even close.