Patch for win98SE

@eidenk :

Windows ME is running on FAT32 and files bigger than 2GB cannot be created on FAT32

Sorry to say, you´re not right for 100% ;) I use an Win98Se system with all updates i know. And i have an DVB Card in my System. So i record often Movies from the Broadcasting channels. Mostly the files are larger than 3GB. Isn´t any prob to record them. Also you can try to copy an DVD with Alcohol 120%, over up to 4GB the dump will splitted. So its no problem to write files until 4GB on an FAT 32 System. But for one thing you´re right - I´m not able to copy such big file from one harddisk to another for example. For WinME i can´t say anything about, i used this OS long time very long time ago. Must check ;) If ME could handle such big files with full support, like copy, split or anything else, it would be fine to integrate it into Win98.

May this is now a bit Off Topic, but in this moment i remember an long forgotten question : Anybody tryed to find an solution for full DVD support in Win98 ? I know, its no prob to handle DVD´s with Win98, but some month ago i want to update my burner firmware and the last one was only as Win32 application available. Early times it comes as .bin file for DOS flash. But now only as Windows Flash. As i try this flash, the updater tells me there are no DVD device detected. So i must switch to Win 2000 with my ghost image. Any chance to integrate such support into Win98?

Sorry for Off-topic.

Tijay

The single way to copy over 2Gb is that one to use copy command from dos described of article q318293.

Bye.

Mcv'93

or you can also use the XCOPY command. The DOS Copy command may not properly copy files that have long file names unless you use the Copy command from a command window inside Windows 98se.

there is NO patch for the shell32.dll file for Win95/98/NT4 whatsoever that will fix the 2Gb+ copy problem. NOT even the Q313829, Q839645 & Q841356 shell32.dll patches can fix the problem from MS KB article 318293.

there is NO patch for the shell32.dll file for Win95/98/NT4 whatsoever that will fix the 2Gb+ copy problem. NOT even the Q313829, Q839645 & Q841356 shell32.dll patches can fix the problem from MS KB article 318293.
How hard would it be to make one? They made one of the most common mistakes in programming, using signed integers when unsigned would be more appropriate.
The root cause is a generic file operation which is used by the shell in Windows 95/98 and Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 which interprets values that are greater than 2 GB as negative numbers.
Maybe a suitable patch could be created?

How hard would it be to make one? They made one of the most common mistakes in programming, using signed integers when unsigned would be more appropriate.
The root cause is a generic file operation which is used by the shell in Windows 95/98 and Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 which interprets values that are greater than 2 GB as negative numbers.
Maybe a suitable patch could be created?

BUT WHO is willing to make one, LLXX? so far, nobody seems to undertake that kind of task. fixing this kind of problem with shell32.dll for Win98 could break something else in the shell32.dll file & may make things even worse. forget it man.

Edited by erpdude8

BUT WHO is willing to make one, LLXX? so far, nobody seems to undertake that kind of task. fixing this kind of problem with shell32.dll for Win98 could break something else in the shell32.dll file & may make things even worse. forget it man.
Well, I'm working on an ESDI_506.PDR with 48-bit LBA... :thumbup

well easier said than done, LLXX. until I see an actual shell32.dll fix that fixes the 4Gb problem I dont think there will be one.

"actions speak louder than words"

good luck with the esdi_506.pdr 48bit LBA fix. you'll have to make patches for BOTH Win98 and WinME. you have a lot to prove, LLXX.

Edited by erpdude8

• 1 month later...

well easier said than done, LLXX. until I see an actual shell32.dll fix that fixes the 4Gb problem I dont think there will be one.

"actions speak louder than words"

good luck with the esdi_506.pdr 48bit LBA fix. you'll have to make patches for BOTH Win98 and WinME. you have a lot to prove, LLXX.

Well, the actual file I fixed isn't shell32.dll but the kernel, but it seems to be working :)

Well, the actual file I fixed isn't shell32.dll but the kernel, but it seems to be working :)

you only patched the original kernel32 DLL file for win98se. can you work on patching the kernel file for Win98FE?

also LLXX, what is your take on what CLASYS said of all RAM slowing down with age? I think he talked about it here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=34960