Need MSFN Recommendation

ringfinger

Well, I would only trust my friends here at MSFN to tell me if my choices are sane or what else out there would be better. I have sumbled upon the SAPPHIRE 100134 Radeon X1800XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16. Looking at this card going ok... 512MB, 16 Pipes, 625/1500MHz... for 299.99? Is this a 'deal or dud'? All the reviews compliment it highly and say that the performance isn't all that much lower than the x1900xtx. What do you think? Need thoughts, opinions, other ideas. Thanks MSFN. :thumbup

Newegg Link

wow man, if i had the money, id have that.

it looks like a decent card to me, and for 300, it aint bad at all. if it does perform like the x1900, then why not? besides, what are you going to be using it for? what kind of games?

Thats what I was thinking... looks like such a deal. And don't get me wrong I'm not some rich kid with money to blow, but I'd like something that can basically handle anything I could throw at it and have it perform well for a long time.... till the next build in a few years at least. I'm an avid fan of racing games, NFS and the like, love FPS games as well. Like things crisp, clean and fast. Antec Performance TX640B case, 450 Antec PSU... should fit, nuff power?

the main thing here is this... and id have to check my page history for good reviewing...

what does this card do with DX10... i mean for 300bucks it WILL be quite a pain if doesn't support running well under dx10 (as that wil be the standard in about 1 and a half year from now...

so you might want to look at that. cuze NFS will most likely be one of the first games to require dx10 (i think).

the main thing here is this... and id have to check my page history for good reviewing...

what does this card do with DX10... i mean for 300bucks it WILL be quite a pain if doesn't support running well under dx10 (as that wil be the standard in about 1 and a half year from now...

so you might want to look at that. cuze NFS will most likely be one of the first games to require dx10 (i think).

if thats the case, just wait a little bit longer, maybe theyll have a video card 50 bucks cheaper and it will fully support under directx 10, somethings can change very fast.

None of the current cards will be able to run "pure" DX10 games, you will have to buy a whole new card for it. luckily game makers will either make a specific DX10 and DX9 versions of the game or addin some way that their games can run using older DX9 API

Do remember that DX10 is vista only, so you would have to shell out money for Micro$hafts new junk first, then get a card, then wait for the games to be released.

A top of the line DX9 card should last you atleas another 1 1/2 years anyway

Edited by ScubaSteve

Well, I would only trust my friends here at MSFN to tell me if my choices are sane or what else out there would be better. I have sumbled upon the SAPPHIRE 100134 Radeon X1800XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16. Looking at this card going ok... 512MB, 16 Pipes, 625/1500MHz... for 299.99? Is this a 'deal or dud'? All the reviews compliment it highly and say that the performance isn't all that much lower than the x1900xtx. What do you think? Need thoughts, opinions, other ideas. Thanks MSFN. :thumbup

Newegg Link

it not like its a deal, thats just the normal price. it about equivalent to a 7900gt, which i would recommend over it b/c since they are rly the same in performance, the 7900gt it $50+ cheaper.

Hmm.... well you all offer some good opintions. I was kind of hoping that this would run Vista whenever it comes out. I was unaware that it would HAVE to be a DX10 card. So, all in all if I get this card I should get about a year and a half of killer gaming experience untill all the newer games come out requiring DX10 as well as vista?

All the cards will run Vista, Just that for some of the fancy features of Vistas GUI it will require a DX10 card, any of the cards mentioned are worth buying as they will all give u great performance up until DX10 cards come out.

Well... It seems many more people have jumped on this buy after posting the OEM link lol. I had to pay an extra $20 for the Retial version. Now I'm just hoping my Antec 450w PSU can push the power to the beast. Anyone out there know how to go about flashing the x1800xt to x1800xt PE? I've been readin' up on it and I'm confused as to where to get the correct BIOS as well as the correct tool to load the BIOS. Thanks again everyone.

X1800XT usually costs that much. You might want to make sure you have adequate cooling though, since this card can easily hit 90C. Its performance is equivalent to a 7800GTX, which is better than a stock 7900GT. I wouldn't recommend OCing a 7900GT as lots of problems have arisen with even factory-OCed cards. X1900XTX will *smoke* this card. In 3DMark, the X1800XT usually hits around 8500 marks while the X1900XTX can nearly hit 12000 marks. That's quite a difference in my opinion.

Well thanks for the letdown Aegis! jk ;) Oh well, its on its way, and I'm sure it'll do me fine. No need to have the baddest on the block with the x1900xtx. I have good case cooling, so that hopefully wont be a problem. I'm just hoping my PSU can handle it. I was reading some reviews on it, one guy said the card can use 120+W on its own! Thats insane..