two problems with my nlited xp

voidwalker

Hello.

i'm trying to build my "perfect" xp install cd. i used xp corporate edition sp2 included, with nlite 1.0final

everything works fine except 2 things :

1: i can't browse the network or mount network drives

2: all the visual effects except "use visual styles on windows and buttons" are enabled even though i disabled them all with nlite. and i also selected 'Speed-Use Windows classic folders / No Tasks Sidepanel' but i still get that damned sidepanel

i slipstreamed 4 driver packs from driverpacks.net using their program (LAN,CHIPSET,CPU,MASS STORAGE), after finishing with nlite.

i got the same bugs with older RC's sometimes, but somtimes it would work, i guess it depends on what i remove?.. i have no idea, please help.

here's the session.ini, any feedback is appreciated

Last_Session.ini

hmmm, some of them did work in the past, what happened since then ?

i want the "adjust for best performance setting (all off), where could i find a .reg file that does that ?

Edited by voidwalker

Close Microsoft-DS port (445) did not work before RC8 I think. It prevents network drives from working. So with recent versions many users who used this tweak now have non-working network drives. (search the forum, you'll find what to do to reenable it)

Also, visual tweaks don't work anymore because they did not really worked before and afaik nuhi tried a new method.

Try importing this at T-13/T-13 :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\AnimateMinMax]
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ComboBoxAnimation]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\CursorShadow]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\DragFullWindows]
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\DropShadow]
"DefaultByAlphaTest"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\FontSmoothing]
"DefaultByFontTest"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ListBoxSmoothScrolling]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ListviewAlphaSelect]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ListviewShadow]
"DefaultByAlphaTest"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ListviewWatermark]
"MinimumMEM"=dword:00000054
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\MenuAnimation]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\SelectionFade]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\TaskbarAnimations]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\Themes]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\TooltipAnimation]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\WebView]

Report if this is working please.

Values there disable nearly all visual tweaks except "show content of the windows while dragging". Change DefaultValue according to your wishes.

Camarade_Tux: Try importing this at T-13/T-13

t-13/t-13 ? what is that :blink:

edit: i found this thread http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=75097 about the network drives, but the conclusions are still not clear to me, how is it better to fix it, by removing that stuff from winnt.sif or by applying that fix.reg file ? or maybe i should just leave "Close Microsoft-DS port (445)" the way it is ?

edit2: on nvm, i don't have those lines in winnt.sif anyway, only have :

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents = "Yes"

Edited by voidwalker

Your drive problem is probably caused by "Close microsoft-DS". This tweak is not in winnt.sif. Since you're a beginner the easiest and fastest way to get it working is to make a new nlite iso without this tweak ticked.

If you want instead, you can edit nlite.inf (nlite.in_ once compressed) and nlhive.inf, both in i386. They contain nlite's tweaks.

To be precise, network drives use a protocol that uses port 445.

So, network drives depend on a protocol and that protocol depends on port 445.

Then, if you don't have the protocol installed network drives won't work.

If you close Microsoft-DS port the protocol won't work normally and thus the drives won't.

The reg file and the winnt.sif mod do not apply to the same level. You need the reg thing.

As for T-12/T-13, this refer to the time remaining before the end of the installation (time minus 13 minutes)

See this page : http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/13

As far as I'm concerned, I like cmdlines.txt because you don't have to bother with drive letters.

More infos on this page : http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/14/

When a tweak is applied at this stage of windows setup, it is applied to all user accounts.

Edited by Camarade_Tux

• 3 months later...
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
;Disable WebView
"WebView"=dword:00000000

;Show Windows classic folders
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\WebView]