How often do you reinstall?

spacesurfer

Reinstall Frequency  

328 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you reinstall your OS on your personal computer?

• More than once per day - for testing installations
    • Once a week
    • Once a month
    • Once a year
    • Never - that's what imaging software is for
    • Never done it - mine is littered with spyware but keeps on ticking

• 1 month later...

The result is a C: drive that's perfectly ordered with NO spaces and NO fragmentation.

As soon as XP boots again, it remakes the pagefile and a new restore point.

My freshly Restored HD looks like this:

mydrive.jpg

Err.. How is that image possible?, There needs to be atleast some form of non-moveable files in there.

On closer inspection, it looks like jipped.

Edited by undeadsoldier

No re-installation on a monthly basis B) . I ghosted my pc to external media :D . Futhermore I have imaging software on a startup that recovers the system to a previous state (True Image) :thumbup

I have 5 stage ghost images for activation, updates, drivers, utilities and applications :thumbup

I reghost updates and install new updates and then reghost it back to external media.

Always wait for the new service pack to re-install the operating system from scratch

Do npt forget the xp regiistry patch (status bar and user Windows 200 style accounts)

On a monthly basis i do a full blown udpate to see which KB's has changed from the previous months

Re-installation procedures takes 35 mins but ghosting 7 mins same configuration :thumbup

Edited by Walchinc

Must be using 98SE................... :whistle:

I dunno... I've never had problems with it >_>

This PC is using 98se and hasn't been reinstalled since I set it up over a year ago.

My other PC is also using 98se and not been reinstalled since '99.. 7 years ago.

*shrugs* Your milage may vary >_>

• 3 weeks later...

Once a month or so. XP is about that (because it is the worst OS ever) and Vista is usually just when a new build comes out that I can legally get (once a month or so, although no new builds are coming out besides 6000). I can easily get away with 3-6 on Ubuntu.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Reinstalled the my previous Win98 system 5 years ago. My current WinXP system has worked for a year now and I'm not going to reinstall it anytime soon.

It's a completely different case with other peoples computers. Thank god none of them happened to have RAID on board.

Voted for 1 year because I do not use imaging software, only backup individual files on DVDs. I feel there is no need to restore an entire partition. My backup also allows to restore the OS on another machine which happen to have the same motherboard.

Edited by j7n

• 2 months later...

I have only had to reinstall Windows twice ever. One was for a motherboard replacement, one was because I installed MS DOS 5.0 on top of Windows 95. The only other time was when a hard drive died and that is a no-brainer. My current PC has not had Windows reinstalled since its first time in 2001.

none of the above?

I use a program called deepfreeze to keep my computer clean. I have a few folders that I can still write to, so that if I come across something I want to keep, I put it in one of those folders (normally something besides program files, windows, docs/settings, or other sys folders). Also, this way, I only have my AV monitoring those folders and the temp directory for my browser instead of the whole PC. MUCH more efficient :D It was worth the...ummm what's that word...oh yeah, purchase!

On systems with more than one HDD or partition I keep the boot drive frozen and then everything else is thawed.

I haven't had to reinstall for quite some time...