one GIANT hotfix?

Blyenth

I wasn't sure where to but this question. I am sitting at work and all my projects are complete. We have a WSUS server running but for some of clients who have dial up at home I want to make a single patch versus a batch file that runs something like 91 files.

I have been very successful with unattended Windows installs so I understand that concept but there has to be a way to combine all the hotfixes into one big one.

A push in the right direction is all I need. Thank you!

Some are already made, RyanVM has his update pack there's an app out ther called autopatcher. probably more, otherwise you'd need to extract all of the files and registry settings from each and evey patch you are installing and manually combine them, there is nothing from M$ that will do it.

1 way would be to try and build them like a service pack (the way gurgelmeyer did with SP5 for windows 2000.

BUT i have actualy NO F* idea what he does and how, - and i seams that he has health probs so he isn't only mutch. (or at all?) ...

try looking at google, you may find some articals about it....

Add-on: RVM pack doesn't do the trick for him as im shure he doesn't want to force his clients to re-install windows ...

Edited by -I-

If you want something to download and install on peoples' computers, AutopatcherXP is the way to go. It's a bit big, since the combined updates haven't been optimized the way that RyanVM does his update packs (I'm not sure if you even could do this with post-installation updates), but it'll do the trick if you want a USB key or CD-RW to have all the updates on it.

hello i am very new to this forum and have a favor to ask i was wondering if by some chance you could be so kind and send me a copy of this batch file you use to deploy those 91 files you run, i am curious as to how it's done... sorry for the newbe question... :hello:

Edited by darcmatter

echo off
for %%U in (kb*.exe) do (
echo Applying hotfix %%U
start /wait %%U /q /norestart /nobackup
)
pause

put all of your updates in the same folder as the above CMD script and run.

if you don't want to rename your updates change the KB*.exe to *.exe

if you want to be able to uninstall them remove the /nobackup switch.

echo off
for %%U in (kb*.exe) do (
echo Applying hotfix %%U
start /wait %%U /q /norestart /nobackup
)
pause

put all of your updates in the same folder as the above CMD script and run.

if you don't want to rename your updates change the KB*.exe to *.exe

if you want to be able to uninstall them remove the /nobackup switch.

IcemanND: Thanks for the script..... :hello:

for %%U in (kb*.exe) do ...

nice script !

but if for me is important the install order for few critical updates :

@IcemanND , how is modified %%U in your script ? (grown alfabetically / after entry date in folder...)

I made a giant security patch for Windows Server 2003 the other day. It does involve a bit of manual labor, but you can't really beat reducing 250MB worth of patches to 16MB :D.

First step is to extract all of your files with the hotfix.exe -x switch. I extracted each to a different folder numbered by release date. Folder 1 contained the most recently released patch, while 34 contained the oldest patch.

Next step is to copy over the files from the QFE folder of each patch. I started from folder 34 and copy/pasted all the files over to one folder. If a file prompt appears asking to overwrite the file, overwrite it only if the file is a newer version. Note that none of the update files are copied over, as they're not needed.

This next step is a bit time-consuming. Do a search for each file to find out where they're located. If they don't exist at all or they're only located in the "dllcache" folder, then it's safe to delete them. Next, recreate the folder structure, but within your update folder with all the patch files. For example, if you have two files such as gdi32.dll and win32k.sys in your update folder, and you find that they're both located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder, and your patch folder is located in C:\updates, create a Windows\System32 folder in your updates folder so that your final path looks like C:\updates\Windows\System32. Copy your update files (in this case, gdi32.dll and win32k.sys) to that folder.

Once you're done with the above steps, your update folder should look a bit like:

Updates\Program Files

Updates\Program Files\Internet Explorer

-iexplore.exe

Updates\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW

-dwdcw20.dll

Updates\Windows

-explorer.exe

-hh.exe

Updates\Windows\System32

-gdi32.dll

-win32k.sys

The final step is to compress everything in your updates folder. My RARed archive looks like this:

ws2003_sp1_updates06132006.rar

-Program Files

-Windows

To update your system just extract the files to your system drive. Or you could create a batch file to do it for you. (unrar.exe ws2003_sp1_updates06132006.rar %systemdrive%)

Using this method, I ended up reducing 34 patch files weighing at 250MB to a single 16.2MB RAR archive. Truly worth the effort :D.

Edited by Aegis