CD Key Rejected

I followed your guide for an unattended XP install, which was very helpful. However, upon testing my ISO in Microsoft's Virtual Machine Trial I found that the CD Key, which I have made sure is accurate, is not excepted. I am using an XP Pro Upgrade CD. I am unsure as to whether this guide will work for an upgrade CD. If this is the problem what might some possible solutions be? If this is not the problem is there some batch file I have screwed up?

If you need more info let me know. Thanks a lot for this guys. If this ends up not working at least I've still learned a good deal :thumbup

I think it can work with an upgrade CD, but you need to have an original install CD for a previous OS for it to continue. Upgrade CDs won't let you do a fresh install otherwise, so it makes sense that it's rejecting your key.

I don't have a whole lot of experience working with upgrade CDs, but I'm sure others around here have done it before.

I think it can work with an upgrade CD, but you need to have an original install CD for a previous OS for it to continue. Upgrade CDs won't let you do a fresh install otherwise, so it makes sense that it's rejecting your key.

I don't have a whole lot of experience working with upgrade CDs, but I'm sure others around here have done it before.

I have the full version provided by my laptop manufacturer. Is there a certain file or series of files I need to add to the unattended XP CD?

I have the full version provided by my laptop manufacturer. Is there a certain file or series of files I need to add to the unattended XP CD?

You may use a OEM key for VOL version or vice versa.

Or you use a key of XP Home Version for Professional version.

Edited by quya

You may use a OEM key for VOL version or vice versa.

Or you use a key of XP Home Version for Professional version.

If the original XPCD folder I created was made using the XP Pro Upgrade CD would I need to add any files that are found on the full version? And do I just go into the WINNT.SIF file and change the CD Key to the OEM manufacturer CD key?

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry if it's taking me a while to understand.

DarkAsHell,

The easiest solution is to use the version provided by your laptop manufacturer.

Make your UA disk using that version and use your OEM key in the winnt.sif.

It can be done using your Upgrade disk, but its alot more work and you have to edit some system files. ;)

Theres also some disupte as to whether we can tell you which or how to edit those files. :unsure:

DarkAsHell,

The easiest solution is to use the version provided by your laptop manufacturer.

Make your UA disk using that version and use your OEM key in the winnt.sif.

It can be done using your Upgrade disk, but its alot more work and you have to edit some system files. ;)

Theres also some disupte as to whether we can tell you which or how to edit those files. :unsure:

Alright. I guess I'll go that route. Thanks. I'll post back here if everything works :thumbup

Hi,

I currently meet the same problem. My computer has a pre-install XP Home version. I want to create my own install version of XP Home for my computer without all provided software by HP.

I started with a simple XP Home version and used my XP Home key. Trying this version with Virtual PC, I can't activate it since it doesn't recognise my licence key. Is it a restriction of Microsoft Virtual PC ? Or do I have any modifications to perform in the simple XP Home version to accept my licence key ?

Hi,

I currently meet the same problem. My computer has a pre-install XP Home version. I want to create my own install version of XP Home for my computer without all provided software by HP.

I started with a simple XP Home version and used my XP Home key. Trying this version with Virtual PC, I can't activate it since it doesn't recognise my licence key. Is it a restriction of Microsoft Virtual PC ? Or do I have any modifications to perform in the simple XP Home version to accept my licence key ?

In the most case, you virtual PC can accept you OEM key if you use right version, but it is very hard to activate it.

Because every XP OEM version also check the bios information when activation, for example your HP computer, there must be "Hewlett-Packard" of Manufacturer Name located in "System" and "base board" in the bios. However, it is very hard to modify your bios information for virtual pc.

Even you can change that information in your real pc, it is illeagal.

So just use virtual PC to verify if your own unattended XP can work properly, not to try to avtivate it.

Also, it is no use to alter setupp.ini only between simple XP Home version and pre-install XP Home version, at least you should alter other 4 files. I can not say more, as ZaFord said, it is a risky topic.

Edited by quya