Service Pack Makers

I have personaly tested Gape's service pack on about 100 different computers with no problems at all. Gape's pack is actually just a collection of microsoft security updates, therefore it is really not his fault if it causes conflicts.

As for RP it is not a service pack at all. Its main goal is to change the look and feel of windows.

Also I have never used Mcafee myself but it is notorious for causeing system conflicts and is a huge resource hog. Maybe you should think about switching to a different antivirus. Nod32 is great.

Sometimes its hard to choose over what you like especially when u pay cash for it

Well i guess you right after my Mcafee expires in Sept/06 I'm switchin to Nod32

thanks for the advice

To Gape I'm coming for your Service pack it has

been recommended by 2 many people thanks guys.

what kind of Mcafee software are you using and what version of Mcafee is it, PROBLEMCHYLD?

what kind of Mcafee software are you using and what version of Mcafee is it, PROBLEMCHYLD?

Mcafee Virusscan

Build: 10.0.27

Engine Version: 4450

Dat Version: 4796

Mcafee Personal Firewall Plus

Build: 6.1.6144

Mcafee Privacy Service

Version: 7.1.1.46

Mcafee SpamKiller

Version: 6.1.07

These are all the latest updates.

Now i have all my windows updates installed and don't have any problem with mcafee

until i install gapes service pack and Tihiy RP pack.

When i uninstall both of the above everything works normal.

Try installing Gape's sesp21a pack first. DO NOT install Tihiy's RPLite pack. see if Mcafee software will work ok with sesp21a by itself first. I think RP will mess up Mcafee under Win98 because it installs some ME files. avoid using the RPLite and the 98SE2ME packs if they cause Mcafee software to malfunction.

Edited by erpdude8

98SE2ME isn't a problem as long as Options 1 or 2 are used. This avoids installing the Revo pack. Before McAfee had the slow to crawl engine problems I used it with Gape's and MDGx's packs and didn't encounter problems.

• 2 weeks later...
98SE2ME isn't a problem as long as Options 1 or 2 are used. This avoids installing the Revo pack. Before McAfee had the slow to crawl engine problems I used it with Gape's and MDGx's packs and didn't encounter problems.

I'm using an older version of Mcafee software and had no problems with the 98se SP and 98se2me packs.

BTW - new Mcafee scan engine 5100 is now officially released.

As far as I know 98SE2ME does *not* interfere with any software that can install/run on 98SE OS.

I think PROBLEMCHYLD needed to shut down ALL of the Mcafee software first before installing the packs.

Also I have never used Mcafee myself but it is notorious for causeing system conflicts and is a huge resource hog. Maybe you should think about switching to a different antivirus. Nod32 is great.

What is NOD32?

Edited by erpdude8

As far as I know 98SE2ME does *not* interfere with any software that can install/run on 98SE OS.
I think PROBLEMCHYLD needed to shut down ALL of the Mcafee software first before installing the packs.
These are 2 different issues...

I meant that 98SE2ME does not interfere with any software proper operation.

But 98SE2ME [same as many other programs] must install/replace system files which may be protected by resident tools like McAfee, Symantec and other similar apps.

Therefore, when one installs software which must replace/update/etc system files, such protection tools must be disabled, otherwise installation process may terminate, generate errors/lockups etc.

98SE2ME.EXE installer says clearly:

Close all other applications (if any) before installing 98SE2ME.

HTH

Edited by MDGx

What is NOD32?
Antivirus <_<

who makes NOD32 antivirus app?

98SE2ME.EXE installer says clearly:

Close all other applications (if any) before installing 98SE2ME.

HTH

a thing MANY users need to make a habit of, MDGx. shut down any antivirus, firewall or any other app before installing 98se2me or even the unofficial 98se service pack.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
98SE2ME does not cause any problems Just Gape SP/Tihiy RP.This problem needs to be address in case others are witnessing the same thing.I followed your method erpdude8 and i get the same results.

It doesn't bothers me as much cause my mcafee expires next month.And i might not renew it.

you might want to switch to another antivirus prog. I use older Mcafee antivirus tool and I dont have subscriptions to it. I just download Mcafee DAT files manually from the Mcafee enterprise downloads page and then install them.

BTW - Tihiy's RPLite pack may require IE6 SP1 & WinME files when installing the Shell portion of RPlite. RPlite Shell wont work properly unless IE6 RTM or IE6 SP1 and the WinME files are installed.

Edited by erpdude8