c_20127.nls, Nlite, and Sysprep

amwoods

Ok,

So i'm using Nlite to slim down the Windows XP installation source, tweak it, and add some hotfixes and SP2. Then I add the DriverPacks.

Once I get the OS installed and sysprep it, I get the c_20127.nls error upon reboot.

I am using Nlite 1.0, but I was using a previous version before. Do I need to uninstall, delete the directory then install Nlite 1.0?

How do I fix it so that I do not get this error message?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

Sysprep is a tool for deploying to multiple computers. One doesn't need it after installing an nLited image of Windows, and you didn't explain what you are trying to do.

According to Google, Microsoft says this:

"The file c_20127.nls on Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM is needed. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK."

"All you "need" to do is to point it to the CD or windows subfolders for missing files, they are there, it's just it don't see it...signature issue." --nuhi (old forum post found via Google)

First, I am making a custom windows xp professional unattended cd, with tweaks, drivers, and patches. I will/do use this for the 100+ computers I support. Right now I'm setting up a proccess/documentation so that when a new machines comes in we can install the OS, our apps, and then make an image of it in case we need to reload it or we get another one of that model. This requires that I use sysprep.

When I use Nlite (great tool) it get the error message. The whole point of using it and syprep and imaging is so that I can have it done once right, then later all anyone has to do is apply it and walk away and come back when its done.

Thanks for any help any one can give.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I have used the latest version 1.4.6, and the sysprep bug is still there. I have also found that the image after sysprep is much smaller about 1.4gb, and although the missing files are in the image, they are NOT on the machine after mini-setup has run.

I have now built my own slipstreamed version of XP SP2, and this doesn't have the problem, therefore Nlite must be soing something to the build to cause this.

Anyone know how to fix it? Nlite is really good at slipstreaming drivers etc, and doing it manually is a complete nightmare, so it would be good to use Nlite.

:wub:

I have the same issue, and "nLite is not to be used for corporate deployment" bla bla bla.

Anyways, I looked up the extension, it seems to be a National Language Support File (font or font map).

Did you remove the languages to slim down the ISO like I did? If so, maybe that's the issue. I think either on the nLite website or on the program itself it says something about removing the language packs may cause a misc issue.

When I get a chance I'll rebuild the ISO without removing any languages and see if it's still a problem. If it is, I'll find this file and simply slap it into C:\sysprep\i386 ... it may have to go into $OEM$ like Cmdlines.txt.... I'm not sure.

Welp, added the missing .nls file and worked like a charm.... but now it's asking for a different file.

EDIT - You know one thing comes to mind..... why is there even a distro in Sysprep? What does it need to install? Why is it even trying to install/use these files if you can just click cancel and it goes through just fine??? Guess I'll have to read up on Sysprep.

Edited by kingsc

why u pepole not reading forum or searchin 4 similar threads ?? (at leat i pointed out )

this issue is not due to nlite , its clearly specified in sysprep's ref.chm

u need localsource @ T-39 mark to to re-install (for minisetup) the language entries

Try deleting the installfilespath entry in the riprep.sif file. It worked for me, (no prompting for files). I’m looking at the install now to see if anything doesn’t look right. Of course, I do not have any programs installed. Basically, it’s was just a test XP image I created from the Flat image, with the LAN driver installed.

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = no

FileSystem = LeaveAlone

ExtendOEMPartition = 0

TargetPath = \WINDOWS

OemSkipEula = yes

InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

LegacyNIC = 1

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is with your InstallFlesPath sysprep.inf file value. You need to edit the value so it copies the files needed from i386 folder during mini-setup.

This is what the beginning of your sysprep.inf file should look like:

;SetupMgrTag

[unattended]

InstallFilesPath=C:\i386

OemSkipEula=Yes

As you can see I point it to the i386 folder on root of C:\

This will prevent any files needed errors during mini-setup. Conclusion is this is not a problem with nlite but your sysprep file as defined in ref.chm

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent info! Thanks! Guess I was right when I said I needed to read up on sysprep.

:thumbup

EDIT - Actually..... I think this may have been fine.

What if you've used NLite to remove the language components? Wouldn't you still get the same problem even if your path was correct?

Edited by kingsc

So, I changed the value in sysprep.inf to InstallFilesPath=C:\i386 and that didn't work.

In fact, during the mini-setup, just out of curiosity I hit browse and took a look around, the first .nls file was actually in C:\Windows\system32, and there was no C:\i386 folder to be found. :realmad: