SP2 needed....but not able to get online.

I just reinstalled XP Home on my desktop, and discovered that apparently I can't connect to the wireless network without SP2...and of course, I can't get SP2 without getting on the network to download it.

I *do* have access to this 56k dial-up on an unrelated computer (without wireless), but I can't seem to find a url to download just the .exe or whatever SP2 would be, to burn to a CD and run on my desktop. Plus I heard something about it taking like 8-10 hours of downloading on a 56k modem, and there's not a prayer I could stalast that long without pinging out and disconnecting.

There's always the "Ask MS to mail me a CD" route, but that not only costs money, but apparently takes 4-6 weeks...and I'd like to solve this problem in the next 24 hours if possible. Don't have any friends in the new city (just moved), so that's not really a possibility either, though I suppose I could get myself to an internet cafe with a CD burner, if I knew what I were doing.

Edited by 371249

Do you manage your wireless network ?

What is you wireless card ?

Does the drivers of your wireless card need the sp2 ?

If so perhaps finding an old version of the drivers would do.

Wireless card is a D-link, can't find the exact model ## at the moment.

I phoned the network manager last night, simply because my Wireless Key ## wasn't working (returned the error "The network password needs to be 40 bits of 104 bits depending on your configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters, or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters"....our network key is 18 characters (alternating letters/numbers), but it works for everybody else. She said the problem lay in the fact I didn't have SP2.

Are you sure the key provided to you is the actual hex code? Some manufacters support what is known as a "passphrase", or somthing similar that is translated to the correct security code.

If the code you are entering is truly a hexidecimal code, then you may be able to tell because there should be no letter higher than "F" (A,B,C,D,E, and F only). If there are other letters, you may actually be trying to enter a passphrase, and you would need to get the hexidecimal code it translates to. It may also be possible that the wireless router is using a level of encryption not supported by your wireless card(?).

I just reinstalled XP Home on my desktop, and discovered that apparently I can't connect to the wireless network without SP2
Nonsense. How do you think users with wireless cards have been able to use them before even SP1 came out? In fact, I can tell you quite surely that you *don't* need SP2 to be able to connect to a wireless network. The problem is with your network configuration.

What you're looking for is the SP2 pkg for IT admins and developers here. They estimate the 266MB pkg will take 11 hrs @56K :whistle:

Not knowing your wireless network config, let me ask if the card has drivers installed? If you go into Device Manager does it have a warning icon next to your wireless NIC? If it does, you need to get drivers for it before you can do anything else.

If your drivers are OK, you may want to get your admin to review ALL of the settings to ensure you have it setup correctly and haven't missed something.

In most cases it is not possable to connect to a wpa-psk network with anything less then sp2, or the wifi adaptor's connection manager.

Try useing the software that came with the card to connect.

and if you have to download with another pc:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

(i know it says its for IT people, but that just means it is the entire package so that it wont need to go online during the install.)

Edited by janus zeal

371249, I know we all love the internet, but here's a thought.

why not state which city you are in? someone on here might live 2 doors down from you!

I'm sure for a beer they could burn you a sp2 cd.

tbs, sorry - UK