Codec slipstreaming

tain

Thanks for the great feedback!

Do you know that this file works and isn't corrupted? ie, have you watched it before?

Let's try this first:

Use MPC to open a RealMedia video that works

Go to VIEW, OPTIONS, PLAYBACK, OUTPUT

On that screen there are lots of overlay options...try changing the ones for RealMedia - DX9 first, then hit OK, then close MPC

Re-open the realmedia that you know worked before (wtih MPC still) and try to play it again with the new overlay option

If it works, try the variable bitrate file (rmvb) again

If the rmvb doesn't work, try going back to the options and pick DX7 this time, follow the steps above.

If you still have no luck please let me know. You can also try monkeying with the other settings in that panel. They can have a dramatic impact on video performance but it varies wildly depending on your vid card, drivers, and DX.

I tried with different combinations in mpc, those rm and rmvb files are playable, but I still can't use wmp to watch them.

And I just found that mkv files could not be played in wmp either, but they are ok in mpc.

What settings did you use to get successful playback in MPC? Posting that info is likely to help someone else :) Also please post what vid card driver version you are using with those settings.

MPC is much more flexbile than WMP as you can see by the settings we have been dicussing. You could try upgrading your version of WMP if it isn't the latest. I'm not sure how to get WMP to use the same settings as MPC is using since it just goes with the system defaults. I think there is a utility for to change the defaults in one of the K-Lite codec packs. Another idea would be FFDShow since all of those options can be set there and then filtered through to WMP.

Also, I saw in a FAQ somewhere that switching the extension of those .rm and .rmvb files can affect playback but I doubt that this would be the case for our codec implementation. Worth a shot, though...

I should have some time to work on these tomorrow.

There was some concern about the Xvid upgrade but nobody has reported any problems with it so I plan to leave it alone. I am interested to hear more feedback on how TC's changes have impacted Quicktime playback with the existing fileset.

@gzduke: thanks for the feedback. Since MPC plays all the files I'm not sure what else to do from a codec perspective.

hi tain! :)

what i did was to use the old quicktime files from the 1 you uploaded from the older thread to overwrite the ones in the current file uploaded in this thread ... would that be okay? doing so did not present any prob for me using the test releases & the final release of HFSLIP (even before TC made the adjustments of 8.3 file naming convention) ;)

pls advise ... thanks!

And playback works OK? Do you have any issues with different versions of QT-encoded files?

I am surprised to hear this as QT is broken on my installations. Can you post a g-spot report of a qt render on your system?

Most players should be fine. gzduke's problem with MPC vs WMP is the first of its kind for us. The gspot report is player-independent anyway.

I was hoping to have some new files posted by now but today has been busier than I anticipated :/

I sometimes experience the opposite of gzduke's problem, where MPC can't properly play back MPEG1 video files (grinding background noise with hiccups) but WMP6.4 can. But this is not with your codecs-- I haven't tried them yet.

A problem like that we can at least try to address since MPC has lots of options to counter such problems. The real headache is when WMP can't play a file.

In theory all DirectShow-based players should have similar capabilities but that regretfully isn't the case.

Ugh. Wrestling with QT/Real all day really takes the wind out of you. I tried lots of different stuff but couldn't produce any better results than what we currently get.

There isn't a DirectShow decoder for FLV (VP6). Let me know if you find one. Use VLC or FFDShow for now.

Which codecs do you guys want broken out as separate packs? I tried to do the most common ones first. If I don't meet with some success on the QT/Real problem soon I'll take them out of the main pack and make them separate...and probably label them [experimental] or something.

First post has been updated with some additional info.

No updated files at this time.

There isn't a DirectShow decoder for FLV (VP6)
Changelog

v2.1 (06052006)

• NEW: Gabest - FLV Splitter 1.0.0.1 (03052006)

FLVSplitter.ax contains "FLV Source" filter, FLV Splitter, and FLV Video Decoder.

Also, please enable "FLV1" in the FFDShow Video Configuration.