Codec slipstreaming

tain

What are codecs?

You can't play media files without the right codecs installed. Installing the appropriate codecs will enable playback in most media players.

How does this work?

This method puts the minimum required files for each codec into HFSLIP's CODECS folder. HFLIP automatically registers the codecs for you. No bloated installers are necessary.

Does this require system file protection or any dll replacements?

No.

Are there any prerequisites?

For W2K, you need to slipstream DX9 (Refer to FDV's site for details).

hfslip-small.png

There are quite a few methods to get multimedia playback with HFSLIP. This thread is mostly about these first three options:

Option 1: Use this pack (4MB) to slipstream codecs

Made specifically for HFSLIP. No extras (like config utils) are included.

Step 1: Manually create HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\CODECS directory

Step 2: Dump contents of zip into CODECS

This pack includes:

• DivX 6.2.5
  • XviD 1.2.0-dev build 2006-06-08
  • Cyberlink DVD Decoder 6.0.2.2806
  • Elecard MPEG 2 Demultiplexer 2.0.84.30429
  • Ligos Indeo XP 5.2820.15.58
  • Intel Indeo 4.51.16.2
  • Intel Indeo 3.24.15.03
  • Intel I.263 2.55.1.16
  • On2 VP7 7.0.10.0
  • Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 DirectShow decoder 1.9.0.311
  • Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec for MSACM 3.4.0
  • VobSub 1.0.1.3
  • AC3 Filter 1.1.0
  • Ogg Vorbis 1.1.0
  • Gabest's FLV Splitter 1.0.0.1

Option 2: Use some targeted packs to slipstream codecs

Made specifically for HFSLIP. No extras (like config utils) are included.

Step 1: Manually create HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\CODECS directory

Step 2: Dump contents of zips into CODECS

Option 3: Follow TommyP's manual method instructions

That thread also has tons of useful reference information. Recommended reading for codec fans.

hfslip-small.png

Here are some other options that aren't made with HFSLIP in mind but should work fine:

Option 4: Use a media player that (mostly) doesn't need codecs

Option 5: Install a third-party codec pack

Most people use codec installers because they provide a more comprehensive solution, but they tend to be bloaty.

hfslip-small.png

Additional information:

What about encoding?

This thread is about playback only. Try one of the packs from Option 5 if you want to encode.

What about Windows Media codecs?

They are best installed via HFSLIP's own method.

W2K: Download WindowsMedia9-KB891122-x86-Global-ENU.exe, extract it and put wmfdist.exe into HF folder.

WXP/2K3: Download WindowsMedia-KB891122-x86-ENU.exe, extract it and put wmfdist95.exe into HF folder.

What about Quicktime and Real?

The main pack on this page no longer has Real and Quicktime because they are so troublesome. Real works for some people, Quicktime doesn't. The best solution for both of these codecs is to use the "Alternative" installers.

What media players work with this stuff?

Most media players should work fine. I like Media Player Classic. You can drop HyPo's MPC addon into HFAAO. It also associates filetypes.

Should I overwrite my existing files?

If you are upgrading from a previous pack on this page or are using more than one of the separate packs (Option 2) then yes. You should overwrite the old files.

Are there any problems when using nLite?

Do NOT remove "SOUND DRIVERS" or "Windows Media Player 6.4" or you will have codec problems. Please refer to TommyP's instructions for nLite compatibility.

How can codecs be verified?

Here is a codec test pack (38MB). It contains movies encoded in different formats and makes testing codecs fairly easy. Please note that not all of the test movies are supported by these codec packs. They won't all work.

Doesn't this need an INF?

These packs used Yzowl's INF when I first published them. I removed the INF quite some time ago and everything still works fine. There have been no error reports from users because of the lack of an INF. If you need to uninstall a codec use this command: "REGSVR32.EXE /u /s filename"

To do:

• H.264
  • FLV1 - Any ideas? Use VLC for now.

References:

Edited by TAiN

Just a quickie on your refs section, the swgreed MSFN codec pack, currently at v2.6 is now my mod. I created the install in inf format, then wrapped it in a silent sfx was fully implemented into the available release. You can, as I do, just drop it into HFSVCPACK.

Thanks, the info is updated. And thanks for helping to keep that pack alive...I depend on that project! :yes:

Have you advertised your mod and its HFSVCPACK compatibility in this forum? I must have missed it...

The main pack (Option 1) has been updated since the old thread.

Edited by TAiN

Awesome. :thumbup I plan on doing a reinstall in a couple of days.

Hey....7-Zip reports Quicktime.qts invalid CRC for CODECS.rar.

And why do you have the dual-core Xvid release? 1.1.x was the last single-core optimized version as far as I know. I don't know how that works, but I guess it's the number of threads they use or something?

@Kiki: I started this thread because of this post:

Tain - Can you begin a new thread with codec slipstreaming so I can close this one? It sounds to me that you would like to champion this. This is great because the developers would like to continue to add more features, as opposed to keep ever-so-changing codecs up to date. I can help as needed. Thanks!

@Kramy: The entire RAR checks out fine for me with three different unpacking utils (not 7zip, though). Do you get any other errors? If that is the only error, then it is OK for now since Quicktime is still broken in these packs.

I upgraded the XviD because I anticipated people requesting the latest version. I saved the old data and can post it instead if there is interest. Does the dual-core release negatively impact performance on your machine? Does anyone else have a preference or should I post two packs?

Edited by TAiN

Tain ... yup ... I recall seeing this ... :w00t:

and it's really nice to see that you now have time for this & it has been realized finally ...

lauds are in order!!! :thumbup

been looking forward to this ... especially your to include list :D

i'll get right on testing the packs so that you can remove the Red Disclaimer on top

I imagine dual-core will have slightly more overhead for threads, shared resources, etc. The performance difference would probably be minimal on any computer with hyper-threading...but I have a Barton XP, and it only does one thread at once as far as I know. :wacko: Swapping threads is more inefficient, which is part of the reason I got into ISO reducing; to remove processes and all that junk.

I'll check my CPU usage in this install while watching a video, and in my next one, and then compare.

TAiN...

I'm having problems with the first pack too, using both WinRAR and 7-zip. Both programs complain about a failed CRC check for QuickTime.qts, and WinRAR also moans about an "unexpected end of archive". I downloaded the pack twice. Are the other 29 files combined 8,571,723 bytes large?

Edited by Tomcat76

Wow...that was one seriously fouled upload. Sorry guys. :blushing:

BulletProof FTP is usually, ya know, bullet proof. But for whatever reason it didn't upload the entire file.

The file is OK now.

hi!

was supposed to report the same ...

Getting these:

CODECS.rar: Unexpected end of archive

CODECS.rar: CRC failed in Quick Time.qts.. The file is corrupt.

why are there less files (29) now in the pack as compared to the 47 before?

btw, i couldn't seem to attach pic files here even if size of files were just minimal ... :(

thanks!

EDIT: seemed that my post just echoed TC's :)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

Thanks for the update, TAiN. I get all 45 files now.

BTW... If the long file names is the only problem with Quicktime, you might want to try test release 60630a. It gives long file names in HFEXPERT\CODECS a generic 8.3 name; those files are given back their original name during Windows setup. :)

@Kiki: Please download the pack again. It contains 45 files now. Sorry for the trouble!

@TC: I won't be able to do any testing until Tuesday or so (working 12-hour night shifts until then). Maybe someone will try that and report back :) BTW, That sounds like a neat trick.

Personally, I like to always keep a 'known good' backup when upgrading or trying something new. If the old pack worked well for you then it is probably a good idea to keep a copy laying around.