Server not removing itself from AD when removed from the domain.

The old admins made a bit of a muck with our AD and now whenever we unjoin a server from the domain we have to manually remove it from AD. I havn't really been able to trace this problem. Does anyone else know why i ma be having these problems?

The old admins made a bit of a muck with our AD and now whenever we unjoin a server from the domain we have to manually remove it from AD. I havn't really been able to trace this problem. Does anyone else know why i ma be having these problems?

What is your Tombstone set at? As in, how long AD keeps a record of a server before it nuked. I have mine set to 45 days. If I remove a server from the domain, in 45 days all of the domain controllers understand that they will delete the server entry for the server I removed from the server.

Otherwise you have to nuke the server manually from the OU and make sure you are doing it from the domain controller that maintains the FISMO roles.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an FYI along these lines, if you remove a DC or DCPROMO it out of the domain, you may still need to go into Sites and Services and remove it manually from there as well.

There are a few variables that are unanswered such as what mode your directory is in. exe. Mixed, native...

The Tombstone setting is a good suggestion and I would also start looking at some even logs. Also, how many DC's do you have and are you waiting long enough for replication to occure?

well.. that is my 2 cents, hope it helps...