Adobe reader 7 handler error

SwimmerB

I have got an issue with adobe's acrobat reader where at random times when trying to open a pdf inside internet explorer reader errors out saying that there was an external handler error. The message goes something like this.

Could not find External Window Handler. An internal; error has occurred.

I am using Windows XP SP2 and reader v7. In my current environment we use many CAD applications and this error also occurs when viewing drawings from within those programs using reader. I have searched on adobe's site and the only solution I come upon is to force reader to open program in its own application not within the window. This seems to work for a bit then still craps out. A reinstall of reader works for a while the comes back again. Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

We do have the most current virus definitions and updates on the workstations. Have not seen any infection of the machines that the issues arises on.

Also the fix I referred to earlier that is a temporary solution is to go into the preferences and then under the Internet category un-check the display in browser option. But after say a random amount of time this craps out again.

Download the PDF and *then* open it, does that also cause this problem?

I suggest you go to version 6 of Acrobat, or even lower, unless you are specifically using PDF features that are not supported in the older versions.

Downloading the PDF and then opening does fix the problem but does not give us a very viable solution. In the environment I am in they have lots of CAD apps that open drawings using adobe reader. I will have to find out about moving down a version did not think of that. Very frustrating, I see lots of posts for this issue but same old fix that works for a while then will end up broke again.

I remember suggesting to another member here a few weeks ago to downgrade to a lower version and it fixed his problem... he tried 6 but it didn't work, 5 worked perfectly. I've been using 5.x for quite some time with no problems at all.

The quality of Adobe's programs is going downhill...

Downgrading a few versions is not the most preferable method but may be just the solution. I talked to my other technician and v 6 was still having issues. I thought of going down further. Maybe I just might do that. It 's kind of odd that the longer the program is around the farther back in versions you have to go to get a good version! Oh well I thin this might be the acceptable answer.