[help] Source and destination i386 differs...

i have created UAXP CD

to make the autobackup source (485 MB) i have kept same root i386 (485 MB) on

"$OEM$\$$\backxp\i386\*.*" so that it will be copied to my "windows\backxp\i386\*.*"

and i have created regfiles as which loads on runonce

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]"SourcePath"="%systemroot%\\backxp\\"

"ServicePackSourcePath"="%systemroot%\\backxp\\"

every thing went fine

but later when i checked the CD "$OEM$\$$\backxp\i386"

and the "windows\backup\i386" ,, it differs

CD content is just 485 MB but

"windows\backup\i386" is 945 MB

then i checked one file E.g "sysdm.cp_"(555 KB) on CD i386

but found the same file "sysdm.cp_"(1455 KB) on "%systemroot%\\backupxp\\"

i came to know that the CD sysdm.cp_ was compressed one

and the "%systemroot%\\backupxp\\" was decompressed one but the file name was on compressed form

What goes wrong in my process...

how did it decompressed,, but the file extension remained the same as raw ?

Either it should give exactly same file size and structure or should give correct file name and extension..

plz help

Edited by Nepali

i have rebuild again..

again the same problem..

what i want is, it should copy my i386 folder to \\windows\backxp\i386 unattended

and the best idea is to paste my same root i386 to my $oem$\$$\backxp\i386 so that it will make that folder during textmode setup to the desired location.

i suspect,, it expands the files but didn't change the file name.

but why ????

Edited by Nepali

You should look up some resources on the net relating to creating BartPe with the XP source file being on the hard disk. You can also look up on slipstreaming. All of them very clearly mention then using windows own copy command or functionality will expand the files & you would never be able to get them back on the cdrom 0f700 mb. You have to use some kind of file manager to do it. I use Total Commander.

What you might try is using winrar or the like to create one single exe file to contain all the files you want on your hdd. Run this file from runonce to extract to their original size as on the cd & then delete the original copy of the rarsfx. Rarsfx can be programmed to selfdestruct after extraction as well as predefining the extraction destination.

Edited by pmshah

You could make a batch that copies i386 to windows.

e.g.

SetLocal enableextensions
Set xpdsk=%~d0\i386
cd %xpdsk%\
copy .\i386 "%systemroot%\Backup"

I don't think copy.exe can copy folders so you might have to use robocopy from the windows 2003 resource kit.

i use this which i found on here by somebody else, think i used search words of i386 copy

save the below as copiesi386.cmd

@ECHO OFF
for %%i in (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\cd.txt SET cdrom=%%i:
robocopy %CDROM%\I386 /MIR /V %SystemDrive%\I386
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" /v "Installation Sources" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "%SystemDrive%\I386" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" /v SourcePath /d %SystemDrive% /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" /v ServicePackSourcePath /d %SystemDrive% /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v SourcePath /d %SystemDrive%\I386 /f
exit

ensure you have robocopy in system32

i use this in runonceex.cmd to call the above

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "runhiddenconsole.exe /W %CDROM%\Apps\Misc\copiesi386.cmd" /f

Not sure if it's relevant but the folder name keeps changing:

In $OEM$\$$\ it's backxp,

in windows it's backup,

in the registry it's backupxp.

What's going on?

Edited by Takeshi

• 2 weeks later...

Take any file and compute the MD5 hashes of the two files (must be the same file)

http://www.slavasoft.com/hashcalc/index.htm

If they are equal then it is probably the result of waste due to the block size of the file system.

Edit: FYI

On my current XP disc (SP2 /w all critical updates integrated)

File: SYSDM.CP_

MD5 HASH: 0747984cf7eb6ad3572fb31d01e831db

The Windows Calculator Program is the same version for every version of xp that I know of (retail/oem/corp of home/media center/professional) *grin*

File: CALC.EX_

MD5 HASH: e73cfccd7ddaff487f913f030f89f1d7 (should be the same for very version of xp's calc)

Expanded hash: 829e4805b0e12b383ee09abdc9e2dc3c

Edited by xous