which ubuntu version would be right for me?

prx984

im willing to download and test all ubuntu versions and stuff like that, but i was wondering if anyone knew which would be the best version for an old dell inspiron 7000 laptop. i want to try linux a bit more (the first attempt i got scared lol) i have already had the live ubuntu 5.10 on my laptop and it handled it alright, but it was so slow to boot. i want to download a distribution of linux that would run good on an old laptop like mine. its a 366 with 384mb of ram. i dont want to try vector linux again because i couldnt get my network card working, so im going to just stick with ubuntu, but if anyone knows of a good distribution let me know. (also one thats fairly easy to set up for a total Nub when it comes to linux.) iv got a dlink dwl-650+ wireless b card to get working in this, and i know it loads cuz i had it on the net with the live cd. so, thanks for reading, and let me know what ya think would be good.

also, sorry if i posted this in the wrong place/forum. feel free to delete.

-brian

I would give Kubuntu a go... after all the years of tesing I've found that KDE is less of a resource hog than Gnome... Also I find that Kubuntu is extremely nice to use. So give Kubuntu Dapper a try.. or Breezy

while i was writing the first post up i was installing Kubuntu. when its up and running it seems alright, but it is sooooooo slow to boot. i dont know why either. is this common with linux?

xubuntu,

got it and installed it. it runs very well, just the boot time i want to slim down now. everything loaded (i think) it says my audio is loaded, but i havent tested it yet, but video and network are working for sure. i got video at 1024 X 768 X 32bit or 24bit, not sure and the network is working cuz im typing this in it linux :)

i really like this. i just wish it was a little quicker to boot up thats all. ill search on google for tips and stuff. whatever i find, ill post here.

thanks again guys :thumbup

edit : ehhh my audio is working :( ESS Maestro 2 pci says its loaded, but i cant alter the sound at all, and i cant hear anything >.<

oh and i need to enable APM support for my laptop, i cant get access to battery info. so i, being a total nub, dont know how to do this. anyone have any experience here with apm and laptops under linux? thanks for reading everyone, i truely am thankful.

Edited by brian10161

I like Kubuntu as well, but because of the lack of hardware support I dont reccomend any flavor of Ubuntu. I do like SUSE 10, not 10.1 but 10, and I like Slackware. if you are a Linux newbie I often recommend Xandros or Mandrake.

I would give Kubuntu a go... after all the years of tesing I've found that KDE is less of a resource hog than Gnome... Also I find that Kubuntu is extremely nice to use. So give Kubuntu Dapper a try.. or Breezy

Sigh... not another bloody one of these... i really dislike these...

Don't mind me, its a pet hate!! :realmad:

Right for you? Choose any version, try all of them, try different distributions in fact, hardware support doesn't mean anything, all linux distributions are the same if they have the same kernel structure!, the only difference is basically the name, don't get me wrong here, but there should be some kind of... i don't know...

ah, who cares... nobody takes my post onboard anyways... lol :lol:

i was thinking of trying Vector again, but i dont know how to use linux at all, so i doubt i can get any of my hardware working in it. i could play around for a bit and maybe figure it out, but with my luck, i'd go to reload it and forget it all lol. anyway, ill keep playing around. i like Xubuntu so far, its just slow to boot, thats all.