Trying out 2003 fileset

Tomcat76

I'm just experimenting with this for fun. I'm sure most problems are my doing so just consider this a blog, hehe.

I modded the 2K3 fileset a little to my needs and installed from CD.

The first problem is that I'm getting 59 "digital signature" dialogs during driver installation, 1 at T-13 and another 7 after first logon. Most likely I forgot to include the second sfc file.

I also had to reboot a second time after installation of Windows completed. The "Click here to Start" balloon pointing at the Start Menu and all the DOS boxes flashing by only occured at the second logon.

Now... Every time the system boots, I get an error dialog:

Service Control Manager

At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use Event Viewer to examine the event logs for details.

In Event Viewer, in the SYSTEM section, I see this:

Source: CryptSvc

Event ID: 512

Description:

The Cryptographic Services service failed to initialize the VSS backup "System Writer" object.

Details: Could not open the EventSystem service for query.

System error: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

It is immediately followed by this error:

Source: Application Popup

Event ID: 877

Description:

There was error [DATABASE NOT LOADED] processing the driver database.

Nice language... :D

There is also an error logged in the APPLICATION section (at every system boot) though I don't know if it's of importance:

Source: Userenv

Event ID: 1090

Description:

Windows couldn't log the RSoP (Resultant Set of Policies) session status. An attempt to connect to the WMI failed. No more RSoP logging will be done for this application of policy.

What also happens after every bootup is that a blank popup window appears with the following in its title bar:

res://mys.dll/mys.hta.

Anyway, I'm going to do some investigating of my own. Hopefully everything can be resolved.

I'm now trying to get this IE Hard thing disabled. It's fairly easy to get Active Scripting going on XPSP2 but apparantly not on 2K3. Anyone know what I should do? I searched the forum but "ie hard 2003" returns no results. Here's a site (one of mine) that I'm trying to get to working.

I'm gonna give up on this one. It's too time consuming.

I added the empty SFC_OS.DLL from FDV's site but I'm still getting the warnings. It's the "not signed with Authenticode technology" and the "not passed Windows Logo testing" alerts.

This time, I excluded a few more files and was less thorough in modding some others. However, setup is now stuck in an infinite restart loop (from T-13 to T-39).

BTW... Would it be possible to add a shortcut to mplayer2.exe when using "MultiMed_WMP6_except_mplayer2exe" while having it removed with "ZZZZZ_TOTAL_REMOVER_MPLAYER.REM"?

Edited by Tomcat76

Reducing 2k3 is very time consuming. I spent weeks on it.

TC - if you want mplayer2.exe shortcuts, don't run the latter file you mentioned. Typically I stay clear of the 3Z, 4Z and 5Z reducers. You just get a small OS that you can't really use.

BTW, if you want a small OS with all functionality, go with SLAX. Everything you need in a 200 meg iso.

I did a little more...

Attempt #3:

- removed some hotfixes (MDAC, etc.)

- removed sakit.in_

New problem: Windows setup asks me for the location of irclass.dl_ at T-39.

Attempt #4:

- renamed sfcfiles.dl_ to sfcfiles.dll (FDV's version wasn't packed but renamed) and repacked it with makecab

- placed sakit.in_ back and did the same as with sfcfiles.dll

Result: Windows setup still asks me for the location of irclass.dl_

Funny... Where did that come from all of a sudden?

Setup keeps restarting, though, and the warnings don't go away either. I'm gonna put all reducer files back and start over from scratch. It's strange that *removing* some files from the set causes setup to restart continuously...

BTW... I keep getting this "Bulgarian (Latin)" in my list of available keyboard layouts. I'd also like to remove the Dvorak layouts. Does anyone know which KBD DLL files need to be removed for this?

Tomcat76, trust me when I say that 2003's self defense mechanism is a weird one. I swear I got file missing errors that changed all the time. TommyP's set manages to go without severe errors.

I truly think that for me and Tom, this was a learning experience. One that took me forever crafting an INF and took him countless hours burning up his SATA's in search of a slimmed-down 2003 that ultimately leaves both of us unsatisfied with it mainly because it's an incredible resource hog.

BTW, if you want a small OS with all functionality, go with SLAX. Everything you need in a 200 meg iso.

REALLY GREAT ADVICE. All M$ will EVER force on us are broken promises and delayed pieces of garbage that they charge us a fortune for. Remember, they rush product out without thinking about US, the IT crowd. They rush product to drive revenue because they are thinking they're going to impress shareholders.

Start learning now, guys... mark my words, the tide will turn, slowly, but it will, and Windows will always be around, but Linux will spread. I last used Red Hat in 1997 and it made me just... Laugh. A GUI that showed installed media, but you click on it, only to discover the OS didn't auto-mount any of those volumes! Things have come a long way... Has Windows? (Rhetorical question, we know it's only gotten a LOT worse). I am using Kubuntu right now. Posting in Konqueror. It's faster and (how else can I say it simply?) It just doesn't suck as much.

mark my words, the tide will turn
Hey, boys! We've got an MSFN blasphemer on our hands! Break out the torches and pitchforks! :P

Just kidding...don't forget to take a look at the best server OS around...OpenBSD. Don't let the silly graphics fool ya!

Well... My main concern ATM is those 59 signature dialogs I have to click away (arrow-left, Enter, arrow-left, Enter, arrow-left, Enter, etc.). Could it be that the setupapi.dl_ is incompatible? I'm using Server Standard for the testing, btw.