Default Gateway

Help!! I need help on default gateway.My MSN can't connect. When i run the troubleshooter wizard,it shows my connection default gateway is offline,how am i gonna make it online.

First i thought it was the building server,but it is not,i am staying in a hostel and my roomate can online but i can't this show clearly that it is not the hostel internet server problem.It apparently is my laptop problem.

So it there any netwok expert here?? i really need help!!!

Are you both using the same hotel connection? If so, is it wired or wireless?

Make sure your connection properties say "get IP automatically" or something to that effect.

In a dos box,do a ipconfig. You should get the default gateway address. Then try to ping the default gateway address. If you can ping it, then it's either a firewall problem or another software pb. If you can't ping it, perhaps your network card doesn't get an ip from dhcp or simply doesn't work at all.

I don't know why but if you can ping the gateway from your friend computer then try to ping your computer from your friend's computer and ping his computer from yours. Did you check if your firewall was enabled ?

Also check if you and your friend ips/subnets are similars.

Did this box's ethernet card/port work with another DHCP (automatic IP) connection before you got into this hotel? In other words, do you KNOW that this thing works?

Have you tried rebooting? That sometimes works miracles on MS boxes :)

errr...wait a second! You are both using the same wired connection? At the same time? What device are you using to do that? A hub/router/switch? Have you tried switching cables? Have you tried switching hub/router/switch ports?

it works with the DHCP(automatic IP)

when i moved in,my msn can sign in but after few weeks i duno what happen and cant sign in later on

i can browse the internet,nut cant sign in to msn..

need help!

Moved in? Few weeks? I thought that a hostel was for very short stays of perhaps a couple of days?

Perhaps we have reached the language barrier :)

I'm glad that we could help you get internet connectivity. I don't have any experience with MSN but it could be a firewall issue. Try disabling your firewall if you have one. Also try clearing your cookies/cache.

First i thought it was the building server,but it is not,i am staying in a hostel and my roomate can online but i can't this show clearly that it is not the hostel internet server problem.It apparently is my laptop problem.
Maybe they've closed some ports?

the time / date is a big problem

i had that problem once where my time/date was not right and i could not get on MSN

just check as being said the time and date

and see if u can use ur friend pc to log into ur msn account if u can .. than its ur box