You removed something with nLite that you need

atomizer

I think it might be a really good idea to sticky a topic such as this where all guides for reinstalling a component removed with nLite can be grouped for easy reference. Some folks could care less if they have to do another installation build, but this can be a big hassle for others. This is especially so if they removed something that's very trivial to add back, but are not savvy enough to figure it out.

I know there's a topic "what not to remove", but that serves a somewhat different purpose.

For those who are either lazy (me), or don't know what they're doing (sometimes me :) ), here's a little application that can be of some use. I've used it myself as part of the process of reinstalling the 'help and support' components some time ago:

Dial-a-fix

I totally agree with you.

I have started something similar. You can find the link in my sig.

Also, I've taken a look into DAF and I had a similar approach to restore BITS and some other components. But DAF is far more complete.

And using such things is not being lazy, it's simply the best way to get some components back. :)

edit : the link : http://www.uawiki.org/doku.php?id=wxp:reduce:restore

Edited by Camarade_Tux

personally i prefer the 'dont delete it in the first place' approach

you shouldn't remove things unless 100% certain you don't need it

i've had to reformat before for IPX support (RA2 networking) and Event Log (for O&O Defrag to function)

IPX support is so easy to add again. :D

And it's strange how evrybody wants IPX only for RA2. ^^

Of course it's better not to remove things you may need. I am using a 120MB iso and there's no component I miss. However, one day, it is possible I need one again. Not sure, but possible.

I'll see how I can help once my HD backup is done (first, I need to boot on something that lets me access my HD and my NIC card :( )

i think its a good idea, like, before i bought my bluetooth adpater i thought, wow, i'll never need bluetooth support 'remove remove remove' oh and i'll never need this 'remove remove' only to find a couple of weeks later for some reason i did need those things, and it is a bit of a pain to reinstall everything.

I forgot about that. Maybe just stick with the Wiki then you think??? Anyone can edit that, correct? (i never used one before).

i think its a good idea, like, before i bought my bluetooth adpater i thought, wow, i'll never need bluetooth support 'remove remove remove' oh and i'll never need this 'remove remove' only to find a couple of weeks later for some reason i did need those things, and it is a bit of a pain to reinstall everything.

Exactly! Done that myself onece or twice :)

At the moment, I'm having the exact same problem with my nLite XPPro+SP2...

So I registered here today(I used to be a topic-reader only), hoping for a solution after I got my BT dongle yesterday. Anyone who can explain what to do (other than rebuilding an nLite-ISO wíth BT support and do a full reinstall?) Thanks in advance!

I forgot about that. Maybe just stick with the Wiki then you think??? Anyone can edit that, correct? (i never used one before).

It's not a problem, nobody ever saw it. Maybe because of the cows. :whistle:

And, yes, exactly, everyone can edit that. I think this is especially useful for such projects because sometimes one stops updating his list and then, only a mod can add something unless you're using a wiki.

The annoying thing is things in signatures don't appear in search results (next time, I'll try to hijack main thread :D ).

Maybe we could have a topic with a link to the wiki and where users could post help requests because the wiki page still lacks a few entries I have absolutely no idea about (BT and Alerter for instance).

Also, I'll try to edit the page this afternoon according to what I learned recently. It should be clearer.

Edited by Camarade_Tux

...Maybe we could have a topic with a link to the wiki and where users could post help requests because the wiki page still lacks a few entries I have absolutely no idea about (BT and Alerter for instance).

Yeah, i think something should be pinned.

• 3 years later...
I think it might be a really good idea to sticky a topic such as this where all guides for reinstalling a component removed with nLite can be grouped for easy reference. Some folks could care less if they have to do another installation build, but this can be a big hassle for others. This is especially so if they removed something that's very trivial to add back, but are not savvy enough to figure it out.

I know there's a topic "what not to remove", but that serves a somewhat different purpose.

For those who are either lazy (me), or don't know what they're doing (sometimes me :) ), here's a little application that can be of some use. I've used it myself as part of the process of reinstalling the 'help and support' components some time ago:

Dial-a-fix

hi everyone

Since my eeePC 701 just has 4G HDD for installing XP, I created slim edition of XP by n-lite for my netbook. I removed all bluetooth package. Now I bought a bluetooth dongle, and I don't want to create another installation disc, and don't want to re-install all software such as msn, open office.. etc

I am wondering if i could add back the bluetooth files of XP to my existing system

thank very much

Regards

Edited by eit

eit, I'm not sure what you removed, so, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. I assume your dongle is a USB? Enjoy, John.

EDIT: See this thread.

Edited by johnhc