Dial Up to DSL or bust

Heartofgold

My brother's computer running Windows XP Home. He has been using dial up for awhile. He wanted to set up at my place to go on DSL high speed to download updates for his computer. He has a on-board Ethernet card but it wouldn't work or wasn't recognizes by XP.

He brought over a Linksys 10/100 Ethernet card and I installed it. Went online with my computer and downloaded the latest drivers for it.

Re-started the computer and windows recognize it and we were able to get online.

After shutting down the computer and restarting it. I tried to get on again but it wouldn't get online. But the card is showing no conflicts and is showing that it is connected. Been workin on it most of the day, sometimes we get online but most times no way.

I even went into the bois to disable the onboard ethernet card.

Any ideas what to do next?

This is windows specialty. If the nic is showing as connected and your browser complains that "page not found" you can right click on the network connection icon in the systray & select repair. It just might solve problem. It has something to do with caching of dns & other data which needs flusing. I have never faced this problem with Linux.

Speaking on strictly personal experience Linksys products & drivers have been major disaster experiences for me, Cisco'c reputation notwithstanding. A while ago I picked up a 4 port switch with dual port print server at a decent price. The d****d thing would never print more than a single page & invariably hang. I tried configuring it in every manner possible. Now it is simply gathering dust.

I stick with DLink as practically all products work without problems & most with Linux also.

I had a similar problem before; whenever it stopped working the solution was to go into Network Connections and disable, then re-enable the connection. I also made a batch file to do this:

@echo off
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

I had a similar problem before; whenever it stopped working the solution was to go into Network Connections and disable, then re-enable the connection. I also made a batch file to do this:

@echo off
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Remember, you need a dynamic ip.

I have tried the repair. I have uninstall the card and then reinstalled and then restart and it works, as soon as I restart the computer, nothing.

Reset the TCP stack.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357

Reboot and done.

I've found in some customers PC where they have gone from a dialup stack to DSL NIC, things are good. Where it gets weird is going back from DSL to Dialup. Reset the stack and make sure you've pulled the nic BEFORE the stack gets reset. For some reason it wants to only reset the NIC stack if both pieces of hardware are present.

This is windows specialty. If the nic is showing as connected and your browser complains that "page not found" you can right click on the network connection icon in the systray & select repair. It just might solve problem. It has something to do with caching of dns & other data which needs flusing. I have never faced this problem with Linux.

You mean you haven't had it YET. My favorite is when the daily updates hit and don't finish the compile properly. Suddenly you've got a half compiled driver, a kernel dumping all over the place and all you can do is pray for a good backup.

You should check out the noise that is made by some of the linux distros, especially the ones people pull off the torrents. Nothing but rootkits. In fact most of the zombie spam comes from all of those "official" releases because people just compile their own pieces into them and drop them in the torrents. The torrent weights the seeds and puts it at the top of the list. Volia instant rootkit zombie linux army and because most people don't verify they stay oblivious to that fact "all their base are belong to *someone else*"

If you bought the linux title at the store or verified it's same MD5 hash from the real vendor, it's legit. If not, better start running the decompiler and looking for the nasty. After all the term root kit comes fromt he *nix side of the universe. When it happens on windows it's because the RIAA wants to catch piracy, when it's done on *nix, it's usually for "other" reasons.