Am I correct about what needs to be done for activation?

I have a copy of the Dell reinstallation CD with SP2. It is XP Home Edition. I also have a slipstreamed copy of XP with SP2. If I take the oem bios files from the Dell CD and place them in the i386 folder of my slipstream cd, and also take the product key listed in the winnt.sif file of the Dell cd and put it in the winnt.sif file of my slipstream, will this allow me to use my slipstream copy on ANY Dell pc?

What if the computers are not identical? For example, what if one is a dell laptop and one is a desktop with non-identical hardware? Will the slipstream still work as long as I have the oem bios files and the key from the original Dell cd from the winnt.sif? I'm not trying to do anything illegal, I just want to know if it works. Thanks.

about legal issues: if all the computers have a WinXP license, it's OK. The whole activation/key thing is to make sure people have their own license.

So I just use a AutoIt script to activate (runs the activate-by-phone & then a crack, then runs activation again: says: already activated, and closes the window. Done)

Ofcourse I only use my CD on people's computer wich has a WinXP license :)

btw, if you have a WinXP license, you can even call Microsoft to get your key working for WinXP 64 :)

about legal issues: if all the computers have a WinXP license, it's OK. The whole activation/key thing is to make sure people have their own license.

So I just use a AutoIt script to activate (runs the activate-by-phone & then a crack, then runs activation again: says: already activated, and closes the window. Done)

Ofcourse I only use my CD on people's computer wich has a WinXP license :)

btw, if you have a WinXP license, you can even call Microsoft to get your key working for WinXP 64 :)

Can u send that script to me, i have this irritated activation all the time and i have to call microsoft all the time because i reformat often :P

Ok, but what about my question? Does anyone know if it will work on Dell's that do not have identical hardware? Thanks.

Don't know that, sorry. Guess you have to test.

The script:

1. The script is started

2.** The script runs a winrar SFX that contains a :whistle:

3. The script will perform the actions (clicks) needed

1 - Make sure you have the commandline version of AutoIt in your $OEM$ folder.

I put this command at the end of my (2nd, cos the first runs at T12/13) RunOnceEx:

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Activate Windows" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "autoit3 "%CDDRIVE%\installApps\InstallSettings\activate-winXP.au3"" /f

2 - See the attachment below. Make sure to edit lines 9 and 12 to your own language. It's the title of the Activation Window, it says "Windows Activeren" wich is Dutch.. don't know how the English version of that window is called. Probably "Activate Windows".

Ooh also line 1 to the correct path of the SFX file!

3 - I never experienced this didn't work.. at the end you'll see the message "Windows is already activated" and you are done. You might need to edit the pauses, its set to 6 seconds I think it's enough even for slow PC's.

I have a license, but I never use the Phone/Internet activation options because this is waaay faster! Also I use my uA CD for lots of people (who have WinXP already, so they have a license).

The script is pretty useless without the SFX containing the :whistle:.

activate_winXP.au3

Edited by ZileXa

WGA is software distributed through Microsoft's Automatic Update and Windows Update that identifies fake or counterfeit versions of Windows and informs those who fail validation how to get a legal copy of Windows.

Would this affect this method of activation?

WGA is software distributed through Microsoft's Automatic Update and Windows Update that identifies fake or counterfeit versions of Windows and informs those who fail validation how to get a legal copy of Windows.

Would this affect this method of activation?

ZileXa's method just is an AutoIT script that does an online activation uning the GUI. A simpler method is to use the activation API provided by MS.

for each Obj in GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2").InstancesOf ("win32_WindowsProductActivation")
if Obj.ActivationRequired <> 0 then Obj.ActivateOnline()
next

Ok, but what about my question? Does anyone know if it will work on Dell's that do not have identical hardware? Thanks.

My Dell CD did not work on a SmartStep or Dimension L (both of these models were discontinued before XP was introduced) It does work on every other Dell I tried on (over 20 models).

I put this command at the end of my (2nd, cos the first runs at T12/13) RunOnceEx:

Can someone explain what this means? I gather he has 2 or more runonceex files? And he does not want it in the 1st because it runs at t12/13. What are t12/13? I'm guessing they are certain points in windows installation?

Can someone explain what this means? I gather he has 2 or more runonceex files? And he does not want it in the 1st because it runs at t12/13. What are t12/13? I'm guessing they are certain points in windows installation?

Yes, they refer to timelines in the XP installation. When it says 13 Minutes remaining, SVCPack.inf gets installed. At T12, it executes the commands in cmdlines.txt, which usually contains the RunOnceEx.cmd and that gets executed after a reboot.

ZileXa's method just is an AutoIT script that does an online activation uning the GUI. A simpler method is to use the activation API provided by MS.

for each Obj in GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2").InstancesOf ("win32_WindowsProductActivation")
if Obj.ActivationRequired <> 0 then Obj.ActivateOnline()
next

How do I use the Microsoft API?

Edited by Gee

ok, can you have more than one RunOnceEx file? Is that what he is saying, or is he saying that he puts this command at the end of his RunOnceEx? I am confused.
Make sure you have the commandline version of AutoIt in your $OEM$ folder

What is the commandline version?

Edited by waves

The command lines version is the one without the user interface. It runs in DOS

You can only have one version of RunOnceEx. What he is refering to is cmdlines.txt, which executes at T12, SVCPack execcutes at T13