RunOnceEx runs after Sysprep unexpectedly

I have an unattended XP install and unattened apps install using the guides and such here.

Once the machine has been setup and some minor details touched up, I reboot the machines several times, defrag it several times, and then run SYSPREP on it to ghost the image from a bartPE disk.

Problem is that after deploying the ghost image to other machines, each imaged PC runs the RUNONCEEX commands again that I had setup in the original automated install.

I've looked int the reg in the runonce and runonceex keys, I've looked for the bat file that configures those keys, I've looked in the sysprep files, etc... I cannot figure out how those commands are getting stuck back in runonceex... I reboot the machine several times before I sysprep and it never starts up the.

Confused and Annoyed.

• 11 months later...

Hi guys,

I had the same issue with my installations. I couldn't figure out why. Finally it came to me that since the CD is still inserted in the disk tray that this must be triggering the issue with the RunOnceEx running again. I was able to find a tool to eject the cd before sysprep runs. Once I did this I no longer had the issue. Of course make sure you copy the sysprep application and its related tools to the drive before it is initiated. Once initiated the system will shutdown and if you boot it up again if you selected for sysprep to run mini-setup it will run it and once its done everything will come up without the RunOnceEX repeating the sequence.

Now of course some of you wouldn't want to have that information in the system so I would initiated one more runonceex to clean up the sysprep stuff on the users machines once they log into it. You can call it System Cleanup. It should be quick.

The tool I found is called ej.com. This is not a website by the way so don't go typing this in your browser. Google it.

Hope this helps. :thumbup

Jesus