win xp pro STOPS on install

crown711

bought a two year old 700x gateway

with no hdd's ,no floppy ,no disk drives.(cd-roms)

i have a xp pro sp2 disk ,i'm using

runs thru till it ask to agree on the licence .then i push f8 ,stops and forces me to reboot.

have tried 4 different hdd's.all stop at same place on xp pro install.

thanks for ALL replies

is the HDD Serial ATA ? i guess not as it is old machine...

but if so, disable Serial support from Bios, then install XP SP2, then re-enable Serial support.

Edited by grafx1

If its a serial ata drive & you disable serial support in bios the system will not even see the drive. Chances of sata support on 2 year old mobo are remote but not unknown.

I have had one similar problem in the past with Intel mobo. It supported usb natively. After a while if would not boot or allow install if I had usb support turned on. There was nothing I could do to retrieve the mobo. Ultimately I simply had to junk it. From what little I know of Gateway they have always used Intel mobos. Try turning off all hardware peripheral support except the ide for your hdd & cdrom. It just might work.

thanks guys

got it to install win xp pro BUT it installed as fat 32 and my large hdd is ntfs.i know i can't change the ntfs

.how would i format the main system drive to ntfs ?

My suggestion for you is to use a Bootable CD , something like BartPE or Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows to reformat the drive and reinstall Windows XP

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

It has tools to build the CD (You need a CD-ROM of Windows XP) and you can also install plugins to increase functionality.

There are tools contained in the default installation that allow you to reformat and convert drives to NTFS from FAT12/16/32. Good luck. If you need a boot CD that's already made send me an e-mail @gmail with my username.

Good luck!!