Quad Core Processor

sednainc

I heard that there are these quad core processor coming out soon..

Can anyone give me the details about quad core and the name of the company which develop this technology,and what is the technology name??

Just curios about it so please help...

Thanks

The earliest quad-core that's coming out is the Intel Kentsfield, which is basically two Conroe cores slapped onto a single processor. It should come out in Q1 2007, which isn't too far away, and will be compatible with Socket 771 Intel mobos that are out now. So if you have a Dempsey/Woodcrest mobo already, then you don't have to upgrade much to support Kentsfield. The problem is that Socket 771 mobos are server motherboards, meaning they can cost $500 average.

If you're looking for a good Kentsfield mobo check this one out: http://www.iwill.net/product_2.asp?p_id=108. It's smaller than most server mobos (ATX) and supports SLI. Iwill also is one of the few server mobo manufacturers that add overclocking options to their board, meaning you can buy a lower-clocked Kentsfield when it comes out, and OC the hell out of it :).

Forgot to mention that all Socket 771 mobos support two processors, so you can easily have an 8-core system. Nvidia's dual-core G80 should be released around the same time, and if they come out with a Quad-SLI design for it...;)

Edited by Aegis

prob with the kentsfield is that it wil be 2 dual core cpu's on a chip.

and even though they are baking these coockies on 65nm process

i cant emagine them having a verry low TDP (max power / heat usage)

and another problem, WILL be that the S771 board still use the external mem controller.

thus i wonder if its bus to the System ram wont be a botleneck

another ting is that is good for a 4way server but not for an 8way...

als intels current implementation to CPU-linking isn't that good...

and certianly not compared to AMD-K8L / K9 that maybe already will support HyperTransport III

Don't expect any major architecture overhaul from AMD anytime soon, just look at their roadmap. So if you want to use the most efficient processor available to you, you'll have to stick to the Intel route. And while they do still have an external memory controller, Intel recently added a feature so that each processor has its own bus to memory.