Odd effect when using "PNG"'s and "Use Transitions&

I got the png working using this method

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=76356

and then turned on "Use Transitons" in the options wizard.

It produced this effect with the PNG

th_48725_odd.JPG

Click For Large Image

But when not using "Use Transitons" the PNG looks fine

But when not using the PNG fix and using the "Use Transitons" the PNG has the gray background again.

And when not using the PNG fix and not using the "Use Transitons" the PNG has the gray background again.

Any thought on how to fix this.

- Albert

Edited by almulder

The png fix is not the problem for that. Just tested it and it works fine (well a little bit weird with the fade in though ..., but not the problem you're talking about).

I'll look into the timer replacement code ...

Edit: No, that is not the problem. I think something else is interacting with your code ...

Seems like I can't solve this one... anyway for me the problem appears only for half a second ...

Edited by sadicq

The way the png fix works is by using the spacer.gif, which is just a transparent 1x1 image, and fills in around the png outline to make a box. Essentially it is doing it's job correctly. The tips background is more the problem, not the png or png fix. The background is not "solid" enough and becomes see through.

Try putting a solid color image as the background then try the png image on top of it. This might give it some substance.

IMO, the whole tips.js should be rewritten from scratch. It is really messy and the way it is loaded makes WPI much slower! And I really mean that. Attach a debugger to WPI and see for yourself how the tips are working ... Not to say about the browser compatibilty checks in it ... :} . I won't cry about pngs and tranparency problems ... but the performance :no:

tested the problem in IE7 - Well alteast MS fixed that problem.

Anyone want to redo tips.js? (Maybe even fix the shadow and transperancy issues with png's)

Let me know if this gets started. (Any changes to tips might make me need to redo tooltips theme editor that I am making, but easy to fix.)

When I try it, during the transition, the area around the png is transparent:

PNG1.jpg

When transition is done, then the transparent area gets filled in:

PNG2.jpg

So for me it works.

Edited by mritter

Nope, not with transparency. I wouldn't let it get you down. I would never use transparent tips; no reason to. If I absolutely had to, I would just convert the png to a jpg and call it a day.