RegTweakage.NET

waiting ... waiting ... ;)

Development is going smoothly.. Actually I can say we are ready to release its first version. However we have a little issue with the hosting of the database :blink: - the host we're going to use doesn't support outbound connections...(neccesary for the application because it's supposed to connect to the DB).

As soon as we have found a solution for this problem we're going to release the first beta version of RegTweakage.NET.

edit:

problems with hosting solved.

Testing application atm.

first release within a week.

Thanks

HJW and HGK

Hope it's going well. i've been trying to track down a copy of UA RegTweakage DOTNET for a while now with no success and finally found that you are trying to make a replacement. hopefully you'll resolve your hosting issues - i haven't been able to get a link to work on this thread yet!

Edit january 22th:

- Added 100+ Tweaks

- Testing current tweaks

- Adding more.

Edit january 2007:

- We are currently testing the application and try to remove most of the bugs.

- This application is database driven. So basically we only have to update the database and you can keep your version of the client

Download Regtweakage.NET 0.2 Beta !

Currently Testing Application and adding more tweaks.

Regtweakage 0.2 Beta released. :thumbup

Let me know what you guys think of our application.

Edited by HJW

• 2 weeks later...

I can't open it. Every time, it tells me 'Cannot connect to remote database!'.

Is this just an issue I'm having?

BTW, I never tried this program's predecessor, but this seems like a great tool and I am very interested to see how this will go.

Also, I am interested in Beta or Alpha testing, if you're still looking for help.

As of 8 AM today, It works. Nice program.

Edited by Eternally1027

tried to run it and got this

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)

hmmmm, just found out what it means by the power of google, i thought i had .Net installed :blushing:

got it installed. havent got time to take a properly check it all out but it looks good :) only thing i can suggest is having an option of saving the tweaks or integrating them, as well as having machine and per user options

Edited by ColdFusion200

I think HJW and HGK have many plans to add to this project, :) It is still in beta... so it only has it's basic features ready. I would think it would work fine in a vista environment since the program was written in Microsofts own .net. I don't think it has any tweaks available for vista yet though.

I agree it would be nice if there was some information about the tweaks so you would have a better understanding of what they do. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to put tooltips when the users mouse is hovering over a tweak that pops up and gives a short explanation. I can see this option being very time consuming though... adding all of the extra info. It wouldn't necissarily have to have a tooltip for every tweak... but some tweaks can look a little misleading if you don't understand what they do.

:thumbup

P.S. congrats on making the frontpage at msfn.org! :hello:

Hey guys,

Lot's of new stuff we might add. Navigation will be hard while the tweak collection grows, this is why we will likely implant sub categories. Some tweaking will be done to the client tonight. And while at it I might make tooltips for the tweaks. And Siginet is right, RT.NET will run under Vista since it's written in .NET, only thing is no tweaks for Vista yet.

Regards,

HGK

Edited by Freakyboy

Hi,

Is this going to be open source?

Two simple spelling mistakes on the "Main" tab under "What is RegTweakage.NET" section.

Replace:

It will connect to our remote Database to retreive the latest tweaks.

With:

It will connect to our remote Database to retrieve the latest tweaks.

Replace:

This Database will be updated by tweak enteusiasts from the MSFN boards.

With:

This Database will be updated by tweak enthusiasts from the MSFN boards.

Take Care,

Will

Edited by war59312

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for nothicing the grammatical errors ;). To answer your question, we are not sure yet if RT.NET will be Open Source. I might release under the GNU GPL, but not sure yet. I'm currently talking with HJW about new features for v0.3 Beta. I will update everone once we got a list of what will be added and improved.

P.S. Sorry for the long time of inactivity, school is sucking up alot of my time :(:P

EDIT:

It's been a while since new features were announced :(. But I finally found time to post the new features, and already code some of the new features ;). Here is a list with features that will be implanted in v0.3 Beta:

Local Database

In the next version a local database system will be implanted. This will make the application a lot faster, since it doesn't depends on the remote database alone. With this system you don't have to be connected to the internet to work with RT.NET. There will be an option to sync the local database so it contains all new tweaks that are added to the remote database. In the future a RT.NET Database Management application will be released to add you own tweaks directly to the local database. RT.NET will support multiple local databases out of the box.

Sub-categories

To make the navigation easier, sub-categories will be implanted.

Edited by Freakyboy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Local Database

In the next version a local database system will be implanted.

Don't you mean Implemented?

Implanted makes it sound like you're doing a boob job :)

Seriously though, I'm glad someone is attempting to continue the development of a much-needed tool. I'd be glad to help with any proofreading or editing, and/or providing a lot of obscure (but useful) XP tweaks, if needed. That's what I do, since my coding skills suck. :)

Kel

• 2 weeks later...

Found a typo-bug in the last version of tweaks I was able to download. The app says if you find a bug, go to the website, but the website's just a password form, and the download link. Kinda hard to report a bug through ESP :)

Anyway, there's an extra right bracket in this key:

; Speed up Access to .AVI Media Files
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}][b]][/b] <---Extra bracket

You may want to run a few checks on the tweak DB to catch common errors like that. Whenever I make major changes to my tweaks DB, I always check for: Extra brackets, } instead of ], spaces before and after brackets, spaces before comment lines, spaces before quotes, + instead of =, etc.. Usually find 99% of them that way.

Also, looking forward to that local db. I've been having trouble connecting to the remote database. Being a db-driven app, when that occurs, the app instantly closes. Which is...mildly annoying.

Hope the db and project hasn't shut down. :/

Kel

Edited by kelaniz