Any ImageUltra User Out There?

Hey Neil,

I import the modules in case I ever want' to revert the machine back to the factory state (it leaves our district for some reason). Here is a little bit of info for you on all the modules. If you look in the module dir on your IUB server you will see a bunch of .IMZ files. They are actually just .zip files. If you rename them you can open them up in winzip ect. Now some of them are password protected unfortunetly. I do know the password has been obtained ;) but I'm not sure if one *should* (forum rules ect.) post that info in here. Once you have the module extracted then you can look and see what they did to make it work. This usually isn't that helpfull though as all the drivers they have documented how to do an unattended install on their website (and I usually update to the latest ver). But for some of their oddball modules (we have a program that we use called Vital source, that i needed to do this with) it can be a real time saver. From what i tried it really is not possible to use the OEM windows files to do a truely inattended install, but I found a document from MS that states if you have at least 1 Volume license for XP Pro then you can used that key and files for ALL computers that were shipped w/ XP pro OEM, and not have to purchase additional Licenses. I can send you that link if you would like.

sorry if any the info in here was a repeat, I'm just throwing ideas out quickly and trying to get work done at the same time too :D

-Chris

jofstegaard,

I just had a brainstorm. if one could copy the disk part module and edit the diskpart script ( it's actually a MS command just search for diskpart at microsoft.com) you just might beable to also create the second partition you are looking for.

-Chris

Wow, didn't realize that there were this many IUB users out there.

DrNewtonD, have you used version 3.10 yet? What are your opinions? I am just trying it out for the first time today, and can't get an ultra portable image to work. It deploys, but then after 1st boot it says that it can't find ntldr.

-Mike

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Does this mean you have to create all your modules from scratch? The imported driver modules are gold versions so I cannot change which boot they are installed in, and if you cannot use the OEM OS module with an unattend.txt then there seems little point in importing the IBM modules from a new machine.

Cheers

Neil

Neil,

You have to open the module, copy the contents and recreate it yourself so it is 'editable.' The unattend.txt file is very finiky to say the least. you would be better off doing it through batch files......

Wow, didn't realize that there were this many IUB users out there.

DrNewtonD, have you used version 3.10 yet? What are your opinions? I am just trying it out for the first time today, and can't get an ultra portable image to work. It deploys, but then after 1st boot it says that it can't find ntldr.

-Mike

I was receiving the same error at first. I totally removed the unattend.txt from the os/mods and the image flew through. You must think of creative ways to get around the unattend.txt being needed....it can be done.

Hey Guys, regarding the unatend.txt here is what i'm currently doing:

i386 (VLK) dir module (copies to c:\i386) in slot1

unatend.txt file module (copies to c:\i386) in slot1 (should be it's own module so you can change it easly)

sysprep moduel (copies to c:\i386\sysprep (I think I'll check on monday) slot1 (Kohler told me this is not needed in 3.1 havn't tested that yet though, don't want to change anything when I'm a week away from dedline and still need to image over 500 machines)

I'm using the iub 3.0 core files (drive prep, XP Pro partition, and IBM custimization)

If I rember correctly, Kohler told me when sysprep runs it stips almost all of your settings in your unatend.txt so you need to use the User Input options in the base map (with the base map open right click on the name of the base map in the left pane and choose settings, there is a User Input tab) for things like computer name, admin password, Person's name, workgroup or domain.

as far as the componet options I just made a sysoc to add/remove features. not sure what other settings your looking for but from what I've found over the past few months there is alwasy a way to script it after the os loads ( no guarentee it's and easy script though ;) )

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I have been using IUB 2.01 to do my imaging needs for the place I work at. But recently I have been looking into the new version 3.1. I was able to make one deploy CD, but when I try and make another deploy CD I get an error the says : Can't find the SP/SPOS container : "Z310CNT2.CRI" Has anyone else ran into this or know the cause? Thanks

-X

• 3 months later...

I've been tasked with learning how to use IUB3.1; the learning curve is akin to Mount Everest but like climbing that mountain, the payoff for learning IUB ought to be a great sense of satisfaction. In addition to the comprehensive manual that comes with the program, I also found a redbook document that is something of a tutorial in terms of how to install and implement the software. I snagged it from TechRepublic (free registration required).

Edited by Elfman42

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm also "one of those" IUB users. I've actually been to a class in IUB 3.0, arranged by IBM.

Anyhow; this s/w is powerful if you know how to use it. The skills level before you can use it (and save time/money) with it is pretty high, though.

I can preform a unattended install on "any" IBM/Lenovo machine now, and are looking for some kind of next level knowledge;

- How to create account(s) and joint these account(s) into right group

- How to change IE settings

- How to apply group policies

- How to change settings of the Taskbar, Quick Launch etc.

And so on.

IBM/Lenovo do not have a forum for IUB as far as I know and a reference library with small handy scripts would be great to have!

All hints are appreciated!

• 6 months later...
I'm also "one of those" IUB users. I've actually been to a class in IUB 3.0, arranged by IBM.

Anyhow; this s/w is powerful if you know how to use it. The skills level before you can use it (and save time/money) with it is pretty high, though.

I can preform a unattended install on "any" IBM/Lenovo machine now, and are looking for some kind of next level knowledge;

- How to create account(s) and joint these account(s) into right group

- How to change IE settings

- How to apply group policies

- How to change settings of the Taskbar, Quick Launch etc.

And so on.

IBM/Lenovo do not have a forum for IUB as far as I know and a reference library with small handy scripts would be great to have!

All hints are appreciated!

if you want to create local accts and join them to groups use the net command - net user and net group

to apply group policies, if you mean local polices I just make the changes in the registry.

as for small handy scripts, well I like devcon for picky drivers (non Lenovo drivers) and netdom for joining to a domain in a specific OU.

Your best bet though is to just post your need and one of us might have a suggestion.

-Chris

• 1 year later...

I stumbled upon this ImageUltra Builder thing and want to know if I can create driver packages with it. Let's says put all the drivers applicable to 1 machine and make an msi or something to have it installed/deployed on a machine?

I stumbled upon this ImageUltra Builder thing and want to know if I can create driver packages with it. Let's says put all the drivers applicable to 1 machine and make an msi or something to have it installed/deployed on a machine?

yes you can...you can create a driver module within IUB.

In tehre you assign drivers to hardware modules...IUB then automatically copies the correct drivers to the directory you want.

This then can be used with the sysprep function of an unattended installationn.