PC freezes. any diagnostic tools for hardware?

zazaza

Hello ppl!!!

My PC freezes, for no special reason and I always have to reboot. I have just completed my WinXP reinstallation and unfortunately the same thing still happens.

Are there any diagnostic tools so as to examine my hardware thoroughly for failure issues?

For your ram, there's a programm called memtest32.

For harddisks you have to have a look on the manufacturer's homepage, but I don't think, that it's an hadrdisk error.

For CPU there are different stress tests, but it don't know a special program of this kind.

Try opening the case, maybe it's only a matter of overheating!

Try downloading the Ultimate Boot CD.

There are a number of tools available on that CD...

Run some testing and/or benchmark tools for a few hours to test stability.

Install and run MBM to check the temperatures from within Windows.

Install and run Prime95 to torture test your CPU/Memory/MB (in Windows, combine with MBM to check temperatures under load).

For your ram, there's a programm called memtest32.
Isn't it MemTest86+ ?

For CPU testing I prefer BURNP6, it actually heats much faster than Prime95 and achieves a higher temperature too.

Edited by LLXX

@LLXX: I've never heard of BURNP6, but I'll try it someday.
Just be careful with it, it's one of the most powerful CPU stress testers available. Running Prime95 on my machine for 8 hours only gives ~60°, with BURNP6 it reached 65° (and stayed steady) in only a few minutes.

Try one of the applications included in dos version of free UBCD. Simply boot to dos & leave it on for a while. Another thing you can try is disconnecting your internet connection. I have observed in a number of cases where a poor connection gave more problems then anything else.

You can also disconnect all other non-essential peripherals (floppy, CD, mouse, any USB stuff, etc). Plus, have you tried running in Safe mode to see if it hangs there or is there some way to make it hang so you can duplicate it or narrow it down to an application or service? Maybe try disabling any apps/services one at a time to see if it's the offender?

Remember not to change too much at once so you can keep track of what works and what doesn't.