Unknown Devices on a8n Sli Deluxe after Vista Beta 2 installation

KerguelanAvon

I've installed the new Beta 2 of Windows Vista x64 to a spare partition on my Samsung Spinpoint 250Gb drive on a Nvidia SATA2 connection, and it seemed to go quite well.

It took about an hour overall before I got into the desktop, but i was away for dinner for part of that time, so it may have been waiting for me at the user name section, and it gave my system a 3 rating at the end.

Anyway, in poking around, I've found that there are a couple of unknown devices appearing in the Device Manager, and also that Vista tries to install drivers for at each reboot.

But it doesn't seem to be able to locate these, and when I've tried pointing it to a download that I got from the nVidia website, the original drivers CD that came with the PC, and the folders were I'd last downloaded drivers, it kept saying that it couldn't locate the required drivers.

I've also tried right clicking on the .inf files in the Nvidia beta drivers for vista that I'd downloaded, but it aborts with "Install Failed" and no other explanation. I've also tried pointing the device manager at each of the folders from the extracted Nvidia beta drivers, but it keeps failing to find the correct driver.

I've had a look through the list of items in the driver manager, and I can't see anything that is missing, so does anyone know what these devices are, or how I would go about finding out what they are, so that I can find the right driver to install?

I've installed the new Beta 2 of Windows Vista x64 to a spare partition on my Samsung Spinpoint 250Gb drive on a Nvidia SATA2 connection, and it seemed to go quite well.

It took about an hour overall before I got into the desktop, but i was away for dinner for part of that time, so it may have been waiting for me at the user name section, and it gave my system a 3 rating at the end.

Anyway, in poking around, I've found that there are a couple of unknown devices appearing in the Device Manager, and also that Vista tries to install drivers for at each reboot.

But it doesn't seem to be able to locate these, and when I've tried pointing it to a download that I got from the nVidia website, the original drivers CD that came with the PC, and the folders were I'd last downloaded drivers, it kept saying that it couldn't locate the required drivers.

I've also tried right clicking on the .inf files in the Nvidia beta drivers for vista that I'd downloaded, but it aborts with "Install Failed" and no other explanation. I've also tried pointing the device manager at each of the folders from the extracted Nvidia beta drivers, but it keeps failing to find the correct driver.

I've had a look through the list of items in the driver manager, and I can't see anything that is missing, so does anyone know what these devices are, or how I would go about finding out what they are, so that I can find the right driver to install?

I had this problem too when I first installed Vista. You should try to install chipset drivers for Windows XP X64 Professional Edition, they usually work with Vista X64