Where to start for slipstreamed CD?

There seems to be an awful lot of information here. I'm interested in making a Win98 CD (unattended preferably) for my ultimate Windows multiboot DVD. I don't intend to use the Win98 portion very often, but just last month I burned a copy of my Win98SE CD for a gal who lost her copy.

Of all the various projects here, which can I slipstream?

In what order should I install them?

I think the only well tested pack for slipstreaming was the Unofficial 98SE Service Pack. Gape has the instructions for that on his web page. It just gives you the Windows Updates for slipstreaming. You'd still need to install the pack again if you want the other fixes and additions unless you manually install them from MDGx's site.

I didn't see the need for this as, unlike XP's Service Pack's, there's really no problems when applying the updates after Windows is installed. XP works better if installed with the Service Pack 2 slipstreamed. Probably because it does too good a job protecting older files the Service Pack wants to replace. 98 doesn't have that problem (feature).

The purpose of slipstreaming is automating. I work on a lot of computers for a great number of people. If I can automate or speed up tasks, then I'm all for it. I'd much rather throw in a CD and have a computer completely setup rather than doing it all manually.

Wow. You're currently working on a lot of computers and all those people still are using 98SE? I understand why you'd want a slipstreamed cd in that case. I'm just astonished you still have a lot of folks on 9x there. At this point I thought those kinds of situations were dwindling.

I think you can do it, but it will take a lot of research and trial and error. If you decide it's worth your time I hope you post your results so others can benefit. You'll find the mdgx.com site to be of great benefit as most available tools are described and linked to there, as well as lots of add-on's and stuff.

If you really get started, I'm sure folks here will have interest in advising if you want to post your progress and stumbles and such. There's a lot of expertise here. It's just a hobby for me, but there're plenty of professionals who post in these forums. You'll get help if you're serious.

I don't run into a whole lot of people with 9x, but it does happen from time to time.

They often ask about basic upgrades to their computer, and don't want to replace the whole thing. But they are usually in the boat that their motherboards only support old processors and memory, and it isn't that cheap to buy really old hardware because many places charge extra just to keep that stuff around.

Some people are just stubborn and really cheap. I try to suggest to those people to just spend $400 on a new rig.

I'll definately try the guide that was linked, and I'll see if I can slip in that new kernel that supports Windows XP programs as well. That is one of the biggest problems with people who stick with old versions of Windows is that newer software won't run on their PC.

I'll probably start on this project later this week. I'm still tweaking my XP CD. On the Uber-DVD I want:

Windows XP - slimmed, tweaked and customized with all the updates and various apps thrown in the installer

2003 converted to XP/Workstation - again slimmed, tweaked and customized

x64 much like the above

2003 - actual server build (themes and the like gone but server aspects kept it)

2003 with Media Center and Tablet Builds (ie Ultimate build)

98 - Up to date as much as possible

I don't see a good reason to throw in 2000, ME, or NT4. A properly tweaked XP can actually run faster than 2000 on the same hardware. I'd rather have 98 with various ME updates than ME itself, and again I can't see a good reason to work with NT4.

When I'm finished, I'll release my nLite session.ini files, my reg files, my cleanup commands, and full instructions.

Honestly, I don't see why I can't just release a torrent to the actual CD/DVD so long as I remove the CD keys from the WINNT.SIF files. All people would have to do is put in their CD keys, build the ISO file again, burn and go.

On the XP CD, I've been trimming it down quite a bit while retaining functionality for WMP, IE and Windows Update. Most of the really slimmed down guides break functionality in these areas. All of the addons right now are freeware except Nero, and again, if people have a license for it, they simply need to put in the serial number the first time the app is launched. If I find good freeware burning software, I'll take Nero out.

I'm using Gimpshop for Graphics and OpenOffice for the office suite. I could bundle Photoshop and MS Office, but again I'm trying to stick with freeware (preferrably Open Source) as much as possible.

Not terribly optimistic anyone can legally release copies of the operating system's even without cd key's. Notice how MDGx does things with 98SE2ME? That could be kind of a model of what can be done without invoking the lawyer's. And for downloadable things, the batch file for downloading WMP 10 files and integrating them with 9x system's might also be looked at. Other project's such as the Post XPSP2 updater's also exist.

Just some idea's there. It would be a better idea to examine those kinds of things rather than doing a lot of work on something you wouldn't be allowed to release.

I can always release a guide on how I did it, with applicable files.

I thought Microsoft has in the past actually allowed the download of the install files. In many places XP install CDs are tossed around like candy. When I worked for HP, Microsoft didn't care about the CDs at all. Microsoft didn't consider the CD to be a copy of Windows. However, we did very heavily audit the **** OEM stickers. If we lost one of those, we paid a pretty hefty fine. As far as Microsoft was concerned, the serial number was the big issue.

I'm also working on a new slipstream cd for Windows 98SE.

By modifying the inf-structure I'm trying to upgrade Windows 98 Core Components. So far I have now replaced MDAC 2.1 by MDAC 2.8 completely.

Next step will be replacing Internet Explorer 5 with Internet Explorer 6 + option to not install IE at all :)