[Info] Aero Vs Non Aero

3aces

after playin around, with a million and 1 vista settings, i have come to 3 major conclusions

1) Vista will be worth upgrading to

2) Without Aero enabled Vista sucks big style

3) your gonna need alot and i mean alot of memory!!!

i know these have been discussed many many times but i thought i would jus have my say!!

after playin around, with a million and 1 vista settings, i have come to 3 major conclusions

1) Vista will be worth upgrading to

2) Without Aero enabled Vista sucks big style

3) your gonna need alot and i mean alot of memory!!!

i know these have been discussed many many times but i thought i would jus have my say!!

I think the Vista Basic theme is just fine, although I can use aero. Don't think purchasing Home Premium's worth it, but that's my opinion.

Ok but is having a new look a reason to upgrade your OS ?

well not entirly.. but its also the fact its up to date and also new hardware suport not to mention Dx 10, i was stating that Aero is what makes Vista, Vista lol.. if dat makes sense

I personally quite like the interface, but otherwise i can't really see a different, theres lots of thigns different, but, i can't see that its a huuuge diiference, the interface is cool, but i can't see if its worth forking money out on when it comes out, i'm tempted tho

off topic, but i found interesting, and seemed vista related excuse for upgrading..

if your a gamer, and you want 64bit heres on reason!

i tried the quake 4 demo on xp64 wanted to see waht it was like, just exits to desktop when i start it

i downloaded the 64bit vista, and woah, even tho i can't get my wireless or sound working, the quake 4 demo works!!! so to me, already its showing better compatability (well, software wise, not driverwise)

....well i was impressed...

Edited by Stead

...not to mention Dx 10...

I got curious about DX10 the other day and was wondering if anyone figured out how to install it on XP. I didn't find anything yet (of course it's early), but i wouldn't doubt if this will be possible down the road a bit. Also, is there anything that actually uses DX10? Or will use it in the near future?

...not to mention Dx 10...

I got curious about DX10 the other day and was wondering if anyone figured out how to install it on XP. I didn't find anything yet (of course it's early), but i wouldn't doubt if this will be possible down the road a bit. Also, is there anything that actually uses DX10? Or will use it in the near future?

well as far as my knowledge goes dx 10 for xp isnt due for a while we should, i think have it by the end off summer, no software i no currently uses dx10 but... slowly poeple will start releasing things.

We are missing one critical piece before we will see any DX10 software. I don't know about you, but I haven't seen any DX10 video cards yet...

true true, i havent seen anything either, i did read some were that NVidia were producing a line of Dx10 compatible cards

My Intel Extreme Graphics card doesn't support DX9 so it reverted back to Vista Basic but I must say it kicks a**! Only anoyances are the new positions of the shut down button and stuff on the start menu. So I submitted feedback about that. Also, I suggested adding the Luna and Royale theme back in Vista RC1 because some people might not want Vista for the graphics but the performance...

My Intel Extreme Graphics card doesn't support DX9 so it reverted back to Vista Basic but I must say it kicks a**! Only anoyances are the new positions of the shut down button and stuff on the start menu. So I submitted feedback about that. Also, I suggested adding the Luna and Royale theme back in Vista RC1 because some people might not want Vista for the graphics but the performance...

hmmm true about luna... but if you want complete performance from the OS you would revert back to the classic view, and about the start menu i went back to the oringal ones because i prefer them!!

TBH, you should upgrade your graphics and try out Aero Glass, you will love it.. you dont have to buy a state of the art 400£ card... to get it to run jus a card with Dx9 compatibility and atleast 64mb mem.. i would reccommend at 128

everyone has their own preferences, but i personally feel with out aero Vista is very similair to XP

Aero makes Vista unique so its gotta be there

Ok but is having a new look a reason to upgrade your OS ?

If you guys think that Aero is the only new great thing about Vista, then you've gotta do some more testing and reading. There's a lot more to Vista than meets the eye... ;)

From a french news site:

Ceux qui souhaiteraient qualifier dès maintenant leurs matériels devront rencontrer les caractéristiques suivantes pour obtenir le logo :

Haute Définition audio et support de DirectX 3D 9

Une ou plusieurs sorties digitales pour cartes vidéo

Ethernet et/ou support du Wi-Fi

Support de l'USB 2.0

En outre, les PCs Vista Premium devront posséder au premier juin 2007 :

le décodage matériel H.264

le support HDCP

le support de plusieurs écrans

le HD audio et la détection automatique d'un périphérique estampillé HD audio lors de sa connexion au système

le support du Serial ATA 2.5

un disque dur hybride avec 50 Mb de mémoire flash et une vitesse d'écriture d'au moins 8Mb/seconde pour les ordinateurs portables

le support du démarrage sur des périphériques USB comme les clés

le bouton de démarrage de Vista sur la télécommande pour les ordinateurs de type MediaCenter

une étiquette verte pour le Driver Quality Rating

Translation:
Things needed to get "Vista Ready" logo.

HD audio, Dx 9 support

One or more digital output for video cards

Ethernet and/or Wi-Fi

USB Support

Things needed to be "Vista Premium":

Harwdare H.264 decoding

HDCP support.

Multi-monitor support

HD audio and automatic detection of HD audio peripherals upon connection to the system

Serial ATA 2.5 support

Hybrid hard driver with at least Mb flash memory and write speed of at least 8MB/s for laptops

USB Boot support

For MCE computers, remote must have a button to power on the computer

Driver Quality Rating sticker.

With such computers everything will be faster, but imho it just adds to the bill.

Also, I don't think Aero is the only new thing. And I'm far from that. However, I only see minor kernel improvements. I did not test yet cause I need my wireless and I can see it on my brother's computer.

Speech recognition and other things to make your computer easier to use ? My brother tried that in the living-room. First he looked dumb, second he was a pain in the arse.

There are a few interesting kernel features but I don't think it needed a new OS or rather I don't think they make Vista a revolution. What is interesting is to have a 64-bit OS. And about all those things to reduce startup time, why not simply put an option not to use swap during startup (until a session is opened) ?

Imo Vista is a bit bloated look at space it takes and memory it uses

if i want customised effects i wanna add them not have it already installed

anything vista can do xp can do

so cant see any point changing tbh