Help for activation while not restoring backup file from cd

Hi,

I'm trying to build an unattended install with no work on files from cd, so everything (apps, batch files etc) stays on the HDD of each computer. I wanted to do like that in order to dissociate windows install from remainng (post-install) which change a lot with different pcs, this avoids me making several install cds.

But in this way, after backing up wpa.dbl, it seems I cannot restore it once XP is loaded. I read this can only be done in safe mode. Does anyone has another solution, so that I can avoid going the safe mode way.

Thanks

Edited by SidB

far as i gather so far, windows gets activated after the setup. the wpa.dbl file gets created after setup when wizzard takes you through to activate, register, turn on firewall, username/s.

So therefore the only way to copy that file in its rightful place is to be in safe mode.

i cant think of any other way. most ideas i thaught of would be (unattended) in normal windows (not safe mode)

sorry buddy

It's WPA.BAK that you need to save not WPA.DBL (WPA.DBL get recreated every time you start your PC). This method no longer works (unless your media doesn't have any service packs).

If I want to apply the method described in the msfn unattended guide, but instead of restoring the backup file from $OEM$\$$\system32 folder on cd, I specify to restore the file fom a defined place on HDD (which will not change on diffrent pcs), is that possible?

If so, can someone please help me how to do that?

Thanks