[HELP] Get share users & permissions

I have a windows 2000 server with a shared folder structure. It used local groups that contained domain user accounts to give permissions to the various sub-folders in the share. We have recreated the groups (albiet with different names to match existing naming conventions) in our domain.

What I need to do now is add or replace the old group name on the server with the new group name. So far I have not had any luck finding a solution. a script, app anything, even if all it did was give me the folder name and the groups and their associated permissions would work I can get the other way from their. Adding the users is easy but I've yet to find a way to get the information.

All this so I can move it to a 2003 server and then in an unspecified length of time to a netstorage device.

Any help suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

You should try dumpsec from systemtools (free). It can export to csv the file structure, groups, ntfs rights. Then you 'd need to create a batch using cacls or xcacls and net localgroup to create and add the new groups to the files structureand remove the old groups. To finish, you'll just need to remove the old groups.

Extended Change Access Control List Tool (Xcacls)

How to use Xcacls.vbs to modify NTFS permissions

"xcacls.vbs is an unsupported utility that addresses a limitation with the original xcacls.exe, specifically the inability to append permissions to a folder whose child objects have the inheritance flag set. The .vbs version does not suppport unc paths.

" XCACLS-Windows Command

I've used the USMT (User State Migration Tool) from microsoft. It seems to work fine, just don't get the new version that microsoft is offering. Best Bet is USMT 1.2 Otherwise It'll complain that you are migrating to Windows 2003. Or if you are doing a huge migration, try using the fastlane migration suite (http://www.quest.com/migration/). Expensive but worth every penny if you need to have a couple hundred servers done in a day so long as the staging is done properly.

I have a windows 2000 server with a shared folder structure. It used local groups that contained domain user accounts to give permissions to the various sub-folders in the share. We have recreated the groups (albiet with different names to match existing naming conventions) in our domain.

What I need to do now is add or replace the old group name on the server with the new group name. So far I have not had any luck finding a solution. a script, app anything, even if all it did was give me the folder name and the groups and their associated permissions would work I can get the other way from their. Adding the users is easy but I've yet to find a way to get the information.

All this so I can move it to a 2003 server and then in an unspecified length of time to a netstorage device.

Any help suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

The problem is I have to redo the group names on the shares, preferably put the new group names on the existing server, then disable or delete the existing groups so that we can test.

Once the new groups are in place I can use robocopy to copy the current data and security permissions from one server to the other without a problem. The issue is that there are over 400 folders and probably close to 200 different combinations of folder permissions within that. I'd much rather script it than do it by hand.