nVidia nforce2/3/4 + RIS

As many people may have known about issues regarding the nvidia networking controller for the nforce2/3 and 4 board, here is your solution to get your network bootable for RIS PXE boot.

The files are [HERE] for the network card.

hope this helps all you nforce 2/3/4 folk with the problems all this time.

Edited by zen62619

I believe these are the same drivers that I included, experimentally, in the latest version of AutoRIS. I've received zero feedback. No good news, no bad news. Makes it hard to know if something is working or not.

I believe these are the same drivers that I included, experimentally, in the latest version of AutoRIS. I've received zero feedback. No good news, no bad news. Makes it hard to know if something is working or not.

That I didn't know about because I don't use Auto applications, all my things I do is manual. If I ever use a Auto program to do my work I never know what's going on in the background. Great that you included it but searched for over 2 days solid without finding anything. Thanks though

The reason I included them was because someone here posted a link to them as part of a thread discussing this issue. For the life of me, I cannot find the post again. So I can assume these drivers do indeed work with RIS?

The reason I included them was because someone here posted a link to them as part of a thread discussing this issue. For the life of me, I cannot find the post again. So I can assume these drivers do indeed work with RIS?

Yes with the nvidia controller, Iv'e test it myself otherwise I wouldn't have posted it :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A bit late, but I've got some comments about this issue.

The problem has been known for quite some time now. Last year, I talked with both Microsoft and motherboard manufacturers about this issue. The problem back then was related to the PXE ROM version of the nVidia nic. I asked several manufacturers (I'm a system builder) to implement the new PXE version in their BIOSses. They did and the problem was solved.

Now, the problem has come back and I've contacted them again. From my testing, PXE ROM version 215.0503 doesn't work at all anymore. I've had (limited) success with version 220.xxxx and higher. Right now, I'm waiting for Asus and MSI to provide me with a beta BIOS with the latest PXE ROM included.

I don't believe it's driver related. I hope I'm wrong though, but experience has tought me that this is purely PXE ROM related.

I'll keep you updated.

Edited by Jopster

• 2 weeks later...

A small update:

I can confirm it's again related to the PXE version of the nVidia nic. MSI just supplied me with a BIOS update with the latest PXE ROM (232.0529) integrated and it worked in combination with the nVidia RIS drivers (version 4.7.1) I always have been using.

Last year, a PXE update also solved these problems. I think once in a while they make a change in the chipset which makes PXE booting with RIS incompatible.

I've send a request to my contacts at both MSI and Asus to implement this latest PXE update in their nVidia boards. I've already got confirmation from MSI and I'm waiting for confirmation from Asus.

If your PXE version is lower than version 229.xxxx, it's my experience that it won't work and you'll have to ask your motherboard manufacturer to implement a new PXE version in the BIOS.

So to summon it up: the problem I'm having is a blinking cursor in the left top of my screen after selecting the OS through RIS. The OS is loaded, but after the progress bar I'll get the blinking cursor. Sometimes I've seen the issue that it locks during the progress bar state.

The RIS driver 4.7.1 works. You'll need to copy the .inf and .sys file to the I386 directory. In addition, you'll need to copy the .sys file to your i386\system32 directory, otherwise it'll give an error during installation.

Edited by Jopster

Not too many people with the problem apparently. :)

Anyway, just got confirmation from Asus as well. They supplied me with a beta BIOS with the latest PXE update for one of their boards. Problem fixed.

I've sent a list of "problem boards" to them and they will update the BIOS in the coming weeks.