Link21 lives

wizardofwindows

Brian,

Thanks for your civil reply. I also respect those who like XP by choice.(except Link21 :D )

As I said above, drivers for recent hardware are better suited for XP because that's the OS almost everybody use on new computers.

That's why w98 perform poorly and crashes on your laptop.

Had Dell developed good w98 drivers for your Inspiron, w98 would work very well too. But they won't do that for the 2 or 3 geeks who would want to run w98 in 2006...

The XP installation disc that come with your laptop is also a version build especialy for this laptop (while you used a generic w98 version I imagine). If you tried a regular out of the shelve XP version, i'm sure you would run into serious issues too, such as driver installation, albeit not the same issue as with w98.

You said:"windows 98 was a good OS for when it came out". I disagree: w98 first edition was full of bugs and too unstable. w98se was already much better but still not good.

Paradoxaly, it was only about one or two years ago that w98 became a good OS, IMO. Thanks to the multiple updates and enhancements, officials and unofficials. M$ released 5 new and last updates for w98 a few days ago. One has to take that into account when comparing it to XP.

A w98 build of 2006 has little to do with what it looked like by 1998.

I say that only to provide information because most of those who criticize w98, last used it 5 years ago or use it on machine dating from the last century.

I'm not saying that I "hate" XP so bad that I can't use it.

Using it is not much different than using w98 after all.

Edited by Fredledingue

what i meant about the xp cd that i have is that i purchased it after i had the computer for a while. it wasnt specific to this computer. i never did have the original 98 cd for this computer, but i did install all the OS updates and driverrs from dells website.

the only real problem i had with this computer was my network card. because its a wireless card, and fairly new at that, your suggestion that the drivers were written for xp and then ported backwards, is actually a very good theory. it makes total sense to me. had i not had the wireless NIC card in this laptop with 98, i think that OS would have been great on here.

it runs great on my armada 1700, but theres no NIC card in that. just all the stuff 98 loads, video sound and modem and infrared. those all load and run fine with 98. that computer actually out performed my inspiron 7000 with win98 (just in the boot speed) i dont know why it did, but it did.

now that im runnin XP on my i7k and 98 on my armada 1700, im happy. both computers run great, and provide good speed for their age. im very happy with these computers :thumbup

sorry if i came off a bit rude in my initial post here in this topic.

-brian

LOL, my laptop has two wifi adapters and zero problems with either of them under 98 :)

Just like someone who is very lucky and never had problems with their 1978 AMC Pacer. It still wouldn't change the fact that an AMC Pacer was a cheap piece of crap car that had a lot of problems and didn't last long.

Hmm, actually I think Link21 improved a little bit. He now accepts the fact that it is possible for people to "like" Windows 98. But Link, you realize that the amount of issues that Windows 98 had when it first came out can not even compare to the amount of issues that Windows XP had when it first came out. For instance, on my laptop I finally just disabled Automatic Updates because XP Pro found at least five new updates every single time I logged in.

i never use windows updates any more, i dont like having to update my computer so often. i often wonder how good they really are anyway... :} so, i just leave XP all "unsecure" and never have a problem anyway. but thats just me.

Hmm, actually I think Link21 improved a little bit. He now accepts the fact that it is possible for people to "like" Windows 98. But Link, you realize that the amount of issues that Windows 98 had when it first came out can not even compare to the amount of issues that Windows XP had when it first came out. For instance, on my laptop I finally just disabled Automatic Updates because XP Pro found at least five new updates every single time I logged in.

Yeah right. Windows 98 was such a POS OS when it first came out. It still is a POS today in 2006. It is even more of a POS to run it on higher end hardware for running reltaively modern software. At best, it was acceptable for simple non-resource intensive 32-bit computing. IN NO WAY were POS Windows 98/ME accpetable for resource intensive 32-bit computing and long uptime.

Windows XP at least could always achieve high performance, even if it may have had a lot of bugs when it first came out. It could also achieve tremendous stability when it first came out, unlike junker Windows 98/ME.

It bothers me to see people running POS Windows 98/ME for the sole purpose of running software produced in the last four years on hardware produced in the last four years because it only convinced the hardware and software manufacturers to continue and support that POS OS which has only hurt performance and stability the last few years.

Sure, I admit that some people can like Windows 98/ME. Just like some people can like an AMC Pacer, even though both Windows 98 and the AMC Pacer were pieces of junk.

I have never been downgraded from 21 to 19. Just look at my registartion date over at Anandtech Forums. It is over three years old. Look at my registration date here at MSFN. It is in January 2005, so less than 1.5 years old.

I simply was of a younger age when I joined Ananadtech forums back in 2003, so I named myself with a lower number afterwards. When I joined MSFN, I was two years older, so I put 21 after my name.

So you were what, 15, when Windows 98 launched? And you would have been 12 when 95 launched and 13 when NT4 launched.

Need I say more?

Yes, Windows 98 is antiquated now. I think there are far, far better alternatives available. Back in 1998 it was as good as it gets. ...but it is not 1998 anymore. Get on with your life, boy.

Wow...so, Link21 hates Windows 98 and ME. Lots of people love it. Why the huge argument and the flaming?

I didn't realize it mattered that much.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

And so on and so fourth.

Yeah right. Windows 98 was such a POS OS when it first came out. It still is a POS today in 2006. It is even more of a POS to run it on higher end hardware for running reltaively modern software. At best, it was acceptable for simple non-resource intensive 32-bit computing. IN NO WAY were POS Windows 98/ME accpetable for resource intensive 32-bit computing and long uptime.

You completely missed my argument! I wasn't talking about 32-bit crap or a long uptime, I was talking about the amount of updates that each OS has had over the years. If you're trying to defend your precious NT-series OS's then you could at least do it intelligently.

You completely missed my argument! I wasn't talking about 32-bit crap or a long uptime, I was talking about the amount of updates that each OS has had over the years. If you're trying to defend your precious NT-series OS's then you could at least do it intelligently.

Agreed. If WinXP was/is so superior over Win98 then there wouldn't be a continual stream of critical updates. Would there? Surely the whole point of a superior operating system is that's inherent security can not be so easily 'attacked'. I say so easily 'attacked', because since WinXP came out there's been sooo many critical updates!

From what little I understand of Linux, if one part of the operating system is 'attacked' it doesn't immediately corrupt the rest of the o/s. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Waywyrd. :huh: