Best Email Software

punker

Hey fellow IT admins. Need some suggestions. We currently outsource our email services but lately have been thinking about bringing email in house to eliminate our frequent providers errors. We currently have about 500 email accounts in about 7 domains. What are some of the best email softwares that are time tested? I know M$ Exchange is an option but its also quite pricy and I may be wrong on this but it looks quite cumbersome as well.

Some of my requirements are a web interface and AD integration.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I really dont like webpage reviews for the fact that a lot are bias because some company is funding the operation. :}

Thx.

Dan

One server product that I did deploy at my last job that everyone liked and they continue to use it is hMailServer. If you want commercial support try Novell Groupwise.

Hey fellow IT admins. Need some suggestions. We currently outsource our email services but lately have been thinking about bringing email in house to eliminate our frequent providers errors. We currently have about 500 email accounts in about 7 domains. What are some of the best email softwares that are time tested? I know M$ Exchange is an option but its also quite pricy and I may be wrong on this but it looks quite cumbersome as well.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I really dont like webpage reviews for the fact that a lot are bias because some company is funding the operation. :}

Thx.

Dan

you may also want to check out Exchange 2007, it will be coming out in beta 2 in july, you could test it out and see what it is like, setup a little test domain or sandbox, it is much much much better then 2003 (think x64 hardware) :-D

he will have to buy x64 hardware and I have heard the price of the software will still be pretty expensive.

you may also want to check out Exchange 2007, it will be coming out in beta 2 in july, you could test it out and see what it is like, setup a little test domain or sandbox, it is much much much better then 2003 (think x64 hardware) :-D

he may already have the 64x hardware, most servers sold in the last 2 years have 64 bit support, as for price, that will remain to be seen, you are right it most likely be more expensive then some other options but it does so much more then just serve mail.

Thx for the suggestions. My spreadsheet just keeps gettin bigger. I will be testing out MS Exchange 2007, I do have x64 hardware too. Dont know how much that will help out a mail server (i guess the database it will) but we'll see.

O.o 64x is the dream of the mail Server at least for many, the biggest restriction for most mail server is memory, only having 4 gb available is weak, lots of commands have to written to the page file and that makes for slowness in the system, with x64 you have 128gb maximum available, :) think of never having to written commands out to the page file again, everything stays nice and fast in ram, makes everything run so much more smoothly. Beta 2 of Exchange will be out end of summer ish, if you can, i would suggest at least taking a look at it. what do you use as a email client? outlook? notes?

You're looking for AD intergration?

Ummmm, most of the other mail server packages that are out there do SOME type of hook to Active Directory with LDAP. It's a real b***h though trying to get the LDAP setup properly and stable though and it only reads Active Directory as a list of contacts. It won't dynamically create the email account unless you've done some heavy scripting to automate that task.

As far as how to script the account creation automation. It really depends if the mail server package offers that.

Trust me, if you have the money to spend on Exchange 2000 or greater. Do it. The other way is a nightmare. :wacko:

Thx.

Dan

I guess my vote would be for Exchange also. Microsoft has made it proprietary enough that trying to emulate it with another package is going to be troublesome. I'd save the admin and support dollars you'd expend on an alternate and put them into the licensing.

imho Lotus is just as cumbersome to manage as Exchange.

Notes is quite cumbersome though i think it is worse the Exchange,

another thought is does your company use alot of PDA devices?(ipaq, axiom, treo, blackberry etc) cause with exchange 2003 sp1 or greater you can do direct push mail to those clients, so that they can get mail in real time. of course they have to be on the web but at any hotspot or for sales people at other companies that have wireless available for travlers, they can logon and get there mail right away. Sales folk love it