Sharing Broadband

Hi,

Im about to get broadband installed. Im assuming it will connect up to my nic card at the back of my pc.

What I would like to do is get another computer to share the internet connection as well. The other computer is an old Win98 system and doesnt have a nic card installed.

Can I setup the second computer through the main one and control access to internet through my computer? I dont want the second computer having any sort of access to the main one apart from internet connection (second computer will be my younger sisters and I dont want her snooping through my files and may need to install some sort of over18 site blocking software as she is young).

Im not sure how to set this up and what I would need.

If its not really a good idea, should I get the installation guy to split the connection to the two computers so they are both independant?

Thanks!!!

Well first you will need to install some type of Nic card in the second rig. Then get yourself a Router, i would reccoumend one fron Linksys or D-Link. That will take the one connection and make it available for mulitple computers. To avoid the snooping of your files, simply dont share any HDDs or folers. That will make it mostly impossiable for her to do any harm.

|Drew|

If your ISP gives you 2 IP's, it would be better to buy a switch. A router is an ideal solution for blocking sites, and if you only have 1 ip. There are Netgear routers selling here for $20 after rebate, so its not so bad after all.

If your ISP gives you 2 IP's, it would be better to buy a switch.  A router is an ideal solution for blocking sites, and if you only have 1 ip.  There are Netgear routers selling here for $20 after rebate, so its not so bad after all.

Agreed!

This is actully what i do....but it really depends on what your isp charges per ip. mine is 6.99 per month, but i have seen up to 15, wich doesnt seem worth it to me.....though i do like not having to foward ports for games and appz.

:)

|Drew|

Its Blueyonder cable and they give one IP.

So I guess the best way is to fit a router.

How easy is it to setup once I get the broadband connection? Is this the only way to do it on the cheap?

Cheers.

Having a router is not necessarily a cheap way to go as they can be quite costly, but since you are only getting one IP for ur broadband connection, then you will require a router, but it will also increase your security if u get 1 that also includes a hardware firewall. The difficulty of configuring the router will vary depending on what model/brand u get and how well documented the installation proceedures are in the manual. It will probably be pretty straight forward if the router u purchase can be configured via your web browser.

As for the filtering/blocking sites that you dont want ur sis visiting, you will probably need to obtain some kind of content filtering software to install on the pc that your sis will be using such as cyber patrol. This software can be a bit of a pain if u wish to use the pc urself however.

Thanks for your help guys...

Ive seen this router im thinking of buying, its only £20 inc delivery

Benq

What do I do about wiring, what sort do I need?

Also, someone mentioned I could network with just a crossover cable, bad idea?

Cheers. :)

Ya could just use a cat5 crossover cable & setup "ics" on the host computer, then go to 2nd comp and set the ip address on the nic as assign automatic. also set the ie settings to connect through a local area network. i got this done but dont know if it works on Blueyonder as i use bt broadband. as for blocking sites i use norton internet security on 2nd comp.

ok so that benq router is good to get right?

I have owned both linksys and d-link routers and for beginners a 8 or 4 port router will please you very much, its very easy to setup and maintain.. D-link seems to be more advanced, has way more options to set and more possibilities.. in your case I would go for a linksys..not to mention they are at a good/cheap price..if you are looking for wireless, go with D-link, linksys wireless router i bought was garbage.. no range wotsoever..