Domain Redundency Question

rakem

We have a single domain setup with multiple sites. Each site has its own DC which is also GC. Each DC is also a DNS server for the site.

We had a server crash in a remote site last week and none of the workstations in that site could log on to the domain properly. (it took then about 20 mins to logon and they didnt have any mapped drives)

We use DHCP and for the DNS servers we only had the one DNS server listed, which was the DC in the site. So im thinking that thats why the workstations didnt logon properly because they couldnt find the DNS server.

So in DHCP if i put in another DNS server as an alternate DNS server, (it would be the DNS server at our head office) would this let the users still be able to logon to the domain without to much latency?

thanks!

Depending on the distance between offices, the Link speed, the number of users etc. having the DNS server at another office as a secondary would help the users get logged on easier next time, DNS was the issue in the case you stated why the users couldn't connect (i assume the DC was also the DNS server)

yes the DC that crashed was also the DNS server for that site. We have 7 sites set up, about 3 of these sites are quite a distance away from the head office (two of the sites are 1 hour 30 min flight and another is a 5 hour flight away from our head office.)

I was under the impression that the way we have our domain setup it would provide us with alot of redundency because if a remote server crashed the clients at that site would still be able to access the network.

It would, but you need to make sure that each client uses the site's DNS server as the primary, but uses one of the other sites' DNS servers as secondary. Otherwise, they won't know how to access other DCs at other sites without a working DNS server.

that secondary server is very much needed, what i meant about distance (sorry didn't describe it well) was more towards WAN connectivity between site, if a sites WAN connection cannot support the extra DNS traffic that would be created if a local DNS server went down then would also have the same issue

our links can support the extra traffice, it would be a little slow but it would be right.

Each Server in every site is the DNS server as well as the DHCP server too... i have configured DHCP to assing two DNS server addresses for the client machines. The local DNS server address and the DNS server in our head office for the seccond one. This should make the clients look for the seccond DNS server if the first one crashes again, correct?