Microsoft can't patch flaw in Windows 98, ME

EAT MY DUST

Geez, thats bad. 98 and ME is old, so who cares.

Me for starters and probably many more millions of users

just becuz something is old doesn't mean it doesn't

provide great quality and thats exactly what Win98/SE does

unlike that XP B$

This thread was created for 98 lovers not for people like U :realmad:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

windows 98 "tuned edition" r0x0r my b0x0r in my old pc

and about the security problem i dont really care cause i dont have internet on that pc, and in this one i use xp.. :D, anyway you cant say that 98 is BS, cause sometimes is way better than xp, though i prefer xp for compatibility reasons...

...remember the WMF exploit? I deliberately went to the website with the exploit code but it did nothing to my system. I think this is a similar situation, where M$ announces that the OSs are vulnerable but there is no proof at all.

hi people, look, I'm not runnin xp down, ther's alot of people that pay alot of money to maintain their system and like xp.....I would have liked it too but there is just too many things that i dont like, and wieghing the pro's and con's, 98se come out on top, hands down !!

I have 2000pro right here on disk, xpsp1, xp media edition 2005 with sp2, and I have tried to work out the bugs and get it to work, and sometimes it does but it's not long, and listen to this, before it will say, checkdisk has discovered a problem and will now check your disk for errors.......that's where it all goes downhill, after that, it's a ritual that the diskcheck runs, the errors are piddly squat stuff in the Mydocu~ folder, regardless, then the "config list failed" comes up, that's on a drive that never touched the internet yet !!

98 is easy as pie, it has to be the most self repairable os ever, scanreg restore is a big help replacing all the registry if you want....xp don't like that at all.

There's alot of problems with xp, I end up putting that disk back in a box with my other spares and continuing with 98se, which is allways there for me, never will it not function, xp.....it's real picky.

98se has been way too loyal and has been there for me for awhile now, XP will never replace that, ever.

Edited by EAT MY DUST

Guess it's been awhile since Bill has spent time in the garage tinkering......my, my has the BILLIONS of dollars he got from us make him forget ?

Do you really think the people who spent $5000 for a P1 are going to like it when they get cut off from their support ?

People pumped alot of money into the computer buisness..........

picture774yo.jpg

5 year waranty on this job, and that was 1997, 5 years later they were up to 2000mhz....

picture769xj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that this might just be more FUD.

Have a look at this page:

M.I.C.E. - Metafile Image Code Execution

It's about a different vulnerability. Since it's a long page, I'll re-post the excerpts I want to make sure that you don't miss.

What about Windows 95, 98, 98SE and ME?

Contrary to Microsoft's dynamically changing and frightening statements about the vulnerability of these earlier versions of Windows, they completely lack the MICE facility that was engineered into all later versions of Windows. There is no possibility that any of the earlier versions are vulnerable, and no need for any security patching.

However, as a result of this research we can firmly state that, despite Microsoft's apparent scare tactics, users of the Windows 9x family have absolutely nothing to fear from MICE, and users of Windows NT should be aware that their Windows systems have MICE.

So maybe this latest "vulnerability" is more of the same. Or maybe not.

Phil

users of Windows NT should be aware that their Windows systems have MICE.

hmm, I wonder if it's got rats and termites too. lol

The fact is that nowadays no hackers really care about attacking a 9x computer anyway. MS can dump support for windows 98 for all I care. They've already done their best to make it seem like the whole Win9x thing just never happened and that it never existed. If I need support for my 98se box, I'll just go find it elsewhere.

Actually I don't think the WMF "vulnerability" actually exists on 9x, I've tried opening a known-infected WMF file with many programs and nothing happens. This is on a system that doesn't have this patch installed at all, original gdi32.dll.

Edited by LLXX

im kinda getting back onto the 98 bandwaggon here. i just installed it back on my PII 366 laptop, and ill say, it runs decently. a little faster than XP. i just wish my network card didn't take so long to initialize. anyway, thats not the point lol.

my point is, microsoft is moving on i guess and they figure that the lifespan of the 9x core is done. its just like what GM just did. they stopped production on the Astro van. and why? they say that "we aren't selling enough of them, therefore we can't justify making them anymore" and all it is... heres my opinion.... the vans are lasting too long. my dad's friend had a '91 astro van and it was MINT condition. not a spot of rust on it. the astro was first made in 1985 and they stopped production in 2005, so thats 20 years, but still, the vans are so popular, how can they say that they aren't selling enough? if you look on the road's here in north america, the astro or safari vans are almost every other vehicle on the road. all kinds of trade companies use them because theyre perfect for working out of. i myself will be gettin one shortly (hopefully :lol:) all it comes down to, is they made something that was good, and they are trying to make money on something else now, but they can't because too many people want the older thing.

newer isn't always better imo.

so in a way, 98 has lasted too long for MS to justify support, therefore forcing everyone should to switch to something new. microsoft isn't selling any 98 cd's anymore so they can pretty much just say that its too old now, but in reality 98 is still a decent OS. it runs fast for what i do, and as long as it doesn't crash on me, ill be happy.

im also starting to like the look of it again :P