[Question] Cant' install DirectX 9b in Server 2003

Hi all!

I have 2 monitors, and i've tried to install DirectX for both of them, happened i could only install DirectX for the primary monitor (connected to the secondary connector on my graphics card). Now i want to enable DirectX on the second monitor but i'm unable, when i try to install DirectX9b again gives this error:

"redist.exe - Illegal System DLL Relocation

The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation accured because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL."

Can someone help me with this problem please?

With SP1 you automatically get DirectX 9c. You dont need to download and install B.

Hi all!

I have 2 monitors, and i've tried to install DirectX for both of them, happened i could only install DirectX for the primary monitor (connected to the secondary connector on my graphics card). Now i want to enable DirectX on the second monitor but i'm unable, when i try to install DirectX9b again gives this error:

"redist.exe - Illegal System DLL Relocation

The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation accured because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL."

Can someone help me with this problem please?

Well, can't install SP1 either:

"update.exe - Illegal System DLL Relocation

The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occured because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL."

So... can't install SP1, can't even run calc.exe... Same problem with SHELL32.DLL, can someone help me please?

Sounds like somehow your install got FUBAR'ed. maybe time to reinstall. One question, not trying to offend, is thios a legal copy of Server 2003 or a VLK

Well, can't install SP1 either:

"update.exe - Illegal System DLL Relocation

The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occured because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL."

So... can't install SP1, can't even run calc.exe... Same problem with SHELL32.DLL, can someone help me please?

No offence taken :) Why shouldn't a VLK be a legal copy?

I've searched the internet and found that the problem comes from XPize. It seems XPize changes the SHELL32.DLL size above 10MB and that's what's causing the problem. Reducing the size of the SHELL32.DLL under 10MB, by erasing some icons (with Resorce Tuner) solved it, but now some icons disappear and others appear instead of the right ones.

I've asked XPize if he will be releasing some fix any time soon, but got no answer. I'll try and email him, later today.

If someone could resolve this problem without editing SHELL32.DLL, please share that info; or if someone could post the original version of SHELL32.DLL to substitute i would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

You could always uninstall XPize and load Server 2003 and einstall XPize. Or use nlite to slipstream your SP1 into your install. BTW, most of the time online in some forums when people say they have a VLK version, it ussually means its pirated.

No offence taken :) Why shouldn't a VLK be a legal copy?

I've searched the internet and found that the problem comes from XPize. It seems XPize changes the SHELL32.DLL size above 10MB and that's what's causing the problem. Reducing the size of the SHELL32.DLL under 10MB, by erasing some icons (with Resorce Tuner) solved it, but now some icons disappear and others appear instead of the right ones.

I've asked XPize if he will be releasing some fix any time soon, but got no answer. I'll try and email him, later today.

If someone could resolve this problem without editing SHELL32.DLL, please share that info; or if someone could post the original version of SHELL32.DLL to substitute i would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by rjdohnert

• 1 year later...

Ok reviving an old thread but I found this while trying to solve a relocation problem myself so if I post the solution here then hopefully others will come across it when searching for a solution too.

I actually ran into the problem when running innotek VirtualBox but I trust the underlying issue is the same. The fix is also a bit of a random hack, I rebased two dlls, user32.dll and setupapi.dll as the error message I recieved refered to both of these. All I had to do was-

rebase.exe -b 0x61000000 user32.dll
rebase.exe -b 0x62000000 setupapi.dll

and then use Replacer to put them into the system32 folder and then reboot. I had rebase.exe from a VS 2005 install but you'll no doubt find it in one of the numerous free sources of MS C++ compiler tools. Try the express edition or failing that download one of the sdks.

Hope this is useful to someone.

• 2 weeks later...
You could always uninstall XPize and load Server 2003 and einstall XPize. Or use nlite to slipstream your SP1 into your install. BTW, most of the time online in some forums when people say they have a VLK version, it ussually means its pirated.

...which is usually correct, unless:

A: they got the VLK from their job and installed it on their home PC (which is still piracy)

or

B: they got the VLK from their job and are using a company-issued laptop (which is okay)

Edited by killerb255