CPU 100% 100% of time

maddad

Could someone please advise...My cpu is at 100% all of the time..I have run spybot and adaware and have no virus`s either ...i have even went to the startup section in "msconfig"and turned off ALL entries within but it`s still 100%.....i have cleaned out the dust bunnies from inside and have air conditioning running so it cant be a heat problem(?).

I am only a pc novice although i have learned and carried out all the usual basic procedures....(?)

The only real noticable side-effect seems to be page loading taking ages and startup taking an lot longer than usual....

I had been using XP for a while but it died a death so i came back to our old ME which seems to have deterioated since last use

I dont really do any downloading apart from the one or two security programs and mabey 5 games but it`s the same with or without them

I use sygate firewall,avg antivirus(yes...ive heard!!)and OFTEN run spyware,i also regulary clean out any AND all cookies,temps,history etc etc.......ANY IDEAS ANYBODY?????

IMHO one of the problems is "ME". I know im going too get bashed by the ME lovers. But i have hated that operating system, since it hit the market and i booted, and BSOD out of the box experience. As an IT director for a large cable operator; i've seen my fair share of O/S. And "ME" took the cake on the term "CRAP." So on another note, i would tell you too goto M$ update. On another note ME is no longer supported. But if you search this forum, there is an unofficial ME service pack. Try finding that first too see if it helps in any way.

AB

You should give us a list of running processes and programs you are using to better help diagnose your problem.

Coming out of hibernation usually causes me issues, so if you're using that, disable it. Also make sure all your device drivers are up to date, especially chipset and video card drivers.

sorry......but other than looking in the startup list in"msconfig"im not really sure how to check anything else...NEVER NEEDED TO

AS for upgrading....well,we did and xp went the the pc place in the sky after 2 months...

I dont need to have any programs (that i know of)running ...it`s still the same

processes.programs.....?????????????????????????????????

p.s just had to get new video driver so it`s not that....was the same 100% before that anyway

Edited by maddad

I gathered that system idle process is running at 100% from your previous posts, but that's not enough informations to help you. It doesn't just run at 100% out of the blue. It's a background process that works with other processes, which for some reason you're reluctant to post. I've heard accounts of a faulty cd burner to bad drivers to netscape navigator being the culprit, but I can't gather what your system's issue is from "ME is always at 100%".

Did you do an upgrade of ME to XP (as opposed to a clean install)? If so, you may want to do a clean install because all of the junk left behind from the previous install can still mess up your system.

You can also see a bunch of startup process using Startup Control Panel

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

It's a slick little program that will let you turn off many apps that startup automatically. It takes a little longer for a particual app to initialize, but your bootups will be faster with more memory available to apps that will actually run, instead of what may run.

Hope that helps.

When i said we went to XP i meant on another pc THIS ones had ME on it since new

NOT sure what you reckon im"reluctant"to post..........

ctfom.exe

reminder.exe

HIDSERV

TKBELLEXE

loadqm

task monitor

system tray

EM_EXEC

multimedia keyboard

lv coms

avg7_cc

avg_emc

avg_mmsvr

smc service

igfx tray

hotkeyscmds

mstdc

stillimage monitor

scheduling agent

"state mgr"

load power profile

ssdpsrv

smc service

autostart ms sqlserver7.0

service manager

But heres the lot that are being used

IMHO one of the problems is "ME". I know im going too get bashed by the ME lovers. But i have hated that operating system, since it hit the market and i booted, and BSOD out of the box experience. As an IT director for a large cable operator; i've seen my fair share of O/S. And "ME" took the cake on the term "CRAP." So on another note, i would tell you too goto M$ update. On another note ME is no longer supported. But if you search this forum, there is an unofficial ME service pack. Try finding that first too see if it helps in any way.

AB

ME is as supported as 98 and 98SE, which is still worth a few weeks. It's a bit weird on a forum devoted to 9x issues, to claim ONE of them as obsolete.

I hated 95 when it was new; it needed fixing. I hated XP when it was new; it needed a whole lot of fixing, arguably much more than ME, and, more disappointingly, STILL needs a whole lot more fixing. To make matters worse, arrogant MS KNOWS OFFICIALLY of LITERALLY HUNDREDS of fixes that are in hotfix limbo [visit t h e h o t f i x .n e t for details] that they will "consider getting around to" AFTER they release Vista and THEN a service pack 3 that MIGHT deal with some of them, MIGHT NOT.

Your experience is just typical of all of computerdom: Never use version 1.0 of anything. As to any initial problems, I can tell you horror stories about NT 4.0, where all of the Adaptec SCSI drives were broken to a man. You couldn't install AT ALL if you used SCSI disks, unless you went back and got the NT 3.51 drivers for Adaptec, and figured out how to override the built-in ones.

Maybe you never used NT 4.0 and SCSI, maybe someone else didn't use the combination you had trouble with. Everyone's mileage varies in terms of specific driver support at the beginning, and in no way reflects on what happened as the product matured.

Generally, ME got low marks more for what it DIDN'T do, namely be a major step beyond 98. In some ways internally, it actually was an improvement, which we are getting results for now, thanks to 982ME. Nothing flashy, just some better stability. Cosmetically, it resembles a bit of XP, which was hated by many, but then overlooked when XP did some of the same things, as irrational as that sounds. [Many here don't tolerate the LUNA-cies and turn them off, which makes all of these systems, on some basis, look alike. Compare the Win2000 theme as, for example, optionally delivered by the Unofficial 98 Second Edition Service Pack, to Win2K itself, or XP with the LUNA-isms turned off, or to ME. It would appear that cosmetics mean a whole lot to some people who know nada about what's under the hood. This is why Tihiy's Revolutions Pack is important to some, etc.]

For myself, the best part of ME is the SCANDISK and DEFRAG pair that work oh so fine in 95, 98, and 98SE, the latter being where I want it to be the most. The speed improvement is rather staggering when you compare. And oh, btw, there is NOTHING that can come even close to what it does compared to ANYTHING you can run under XP on any hardware you might conjure up. [No, the ME defrag does not run under XP!]

cjl

Actually, even on Xp, system idle is 98% to 100%. Thats the only process that does. Really, nothing to worry about.

I think that system idle is using most of the cpu cycles, but CPU usage should not be very high, which is the problem. You need something to keep the cpu going so it is ready for more input (whenever it may get there), but it does not require the CPU to run at full speed which would simply waste energy create excess heat. Having high CPU usage would prevent the CPU from being throttled when it isn't doing work.

You were right about it being the system idle 90odd%.....it just seems though as if doing the basics has slowed right down since i last used this

I dont know if this is relevant but although i seem to have 3 quarters of my disk space free but when i look at the available physical memory on the sysinternals program it tells me i have 63,940 total but only 460 available..