ANSI vs. OEM charset: Problems for german users

Crosspost from Warp2Search, before i found this forum:

Great guide on your page, there are a few things i still have questions about:

You apply the registry tweaks in "main_batch.cmd". Wouldn't it be better to put them in applications.cmd, after all hotfixes have been installed? This way, the fixes install with the default XP settings and all services activated which is maybe better, plus the services can't be turned on by some patch again.

Furthermore, i use a german XP version and i found out that XP couldn't create shortcuts or delete files with Umlauts (ü, ä, ö) in them. This is especially troublesome since the Startmenu is called "Startmenü" in german! Does anyone know a way to circumvent this?

Last but not least, i have something more in Winnt.sif, maybe you want to review it:

[Components]msmsgs = Off

Msnexplr = Off

zonegames = Off

certsrv_client = Off

chat = Off

media_clips = Off

paint = Off

templates = Off

freecell = Off

hearts = Off

minesweeper = Off

pinball = Off

solitaire = Off

spider = Off

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found the reason why the Umlauts stuff happens; the command prompt expects DOS-coded characters, but when i create a batch file with a windows editor, they are Windows / ANSI encoded! I had to convert ANSI to OEM/DOS charset (for instance in UltraEdit).

I hope the other stuff will be included in the official guide though, and maybe you could make a note about the ANSI/OEM thing for foreign users.

That was a bit frustrating. Maybe you can save other users this hassle and add this tip, at least in the german translation of the guide. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Maybe time for a new edit

replace the ü with this save it as .bat instead of .cmd and now its shows ü again

sorry for posting on such old topic , only trying to help :blushing: