Is RTF helptext.x strings broken or non-functional?

dave5050

Hello All,

I have tried lots of variations of RTF strings in the helptext.x value with no success. It seems no matter what I provide in helptext.x only plain text is displayed and no RTF is rendered. I am using latest version (2.2.0.7).

I have tried:

{\rtf1 Some text}

{\rtf Some text}

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg874\deff0\deflang1054{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset222 Tahoma

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg874\deff0\deflang1054{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset222 Tahoma;}}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs17\par}

and many more variations.

using help.x and a RTF file works fine. The application title in the description pane is rendered correctly in blue/bold.

Any ideas?

I just basically want to use some simple helptext.x strings for my descriptions but would like to have at least a little bit of formatting (bold, italic, size, font, etc).

I think using an alternate control in the right description pane would be ideal. What about hosting an instance of IE and render descriptions based on HTML strings in helptext.x or HTML files in help.x? I think that would be a fantastic way to implement rich content in the description pane. Such as:

helptext.0=<center><b>Application Title</b></center><p>This is some <i>text</i>

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I am still not having much luck here. Can anyone provide an example of an RTF string that can be used in a helptext.0 field that will simply bold and center a string of "This text is bold and centered" ?

My last attempt was:

helptext.0=\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Arial;}}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\qc\b\f0\fs20 this is bold and centerd\b0\par}

I obtained this RTF using wordpad to bold/center text, saving the file then grabbing the contents of the file to place in helptext.0.

I must be doing something terribly wrong..

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

-Dave

• 1 month later...

Benjamin,

I'm having the same problem with RTF encoding as well. I'm using version 2.2.0.0 with this line:

HELPTEXT.0.64=KB917422 \par \par DATE: 2006-08-07 \par NOTE: MS06-051 \par DESC: Vulnerability in Windows Kernel Could Result in Remote Code Execution

The text renders, but so does the \par tags. They are supposed to put CR-LFs into the displayed text, but it's not happening. This *DID* work on older versions though. I also don't remember the blue title in the help pane when you click on a item in previous versions.

post-25202-1155792523_thumb.jpg

Because there are many problems by using RTF, I decided to add basic support for html. But I'm not going to use MSHTML but instead a basic proprietary development.

Estimated supported tags are following:

h1 ...h6, pre, p, br, small, i, em, u, b, strong, a (href attribute), font (color, face and size attributes)

If there are some important tags that should be added please make an advise. But note, I'll not add support for table tag.

Benjamin

Edited by BenjaminKalytta

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...