Critial flaws unfixed?

wizardofwindows

:blink: Remember MS06-015/KB 908531, the VERCLSID patch? It's the one that was sent out via Automatic Update on April 15, tax day weekend in the US, and it froze machines running older HP scanning software and certain NVIDIA video drivers. At the time I called it "one of the worst patches ever."

At the time of MS06-015's release, Microsoft's Security Bulletin stated:

Are Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium Edition critically affected by the vulnerability addressed in this security bulletin? Yes. Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition are critically affected by this vulnerability. Critical security updates for these platforms may not be available concurrently with the other security updates provided as part of this security bulletin. They will be made available as soon as possible following the release. When these security updates are available, you will be able to download them only from the Windows Update Web site.

Now, nearly two months later, we get this from the Microsoft Security Response Center blog:

[T]oday we've made an update to the FAQ in MS06-015 related to the availability of an update for Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (ME). Specifically, after extensive investigation, we've found that it's not feasible to make the extensive changes necessary to Windows Explorer on these older versions of Windows to eliminate the vulnerability.(woody2006) Now im wondering is this deliberate did ms sabatage 9x in order to get people 2 upgrade to xp? Most 9x users trust ms on the whole if they say get a patch or be hacked your grandma will.So i smell a rat sure ms been sneaky before but this is low even 4 ms .i wanta heard your opinon on this?

>Now im wondering is this deliberate did ms sabatage 9x in order to get people 2 upgrade to xp?

MS produces millions of bugs, they hardly need to intentionally sabotage their OS.

98 still remains one of the safest OS's to be running. DOS is safer yet.

Edited by azagahl

>Now im wondering is this deliberate did ms sabatage 9x in order to get people 2 upgrade to xp?

MS produces millions of bugs, they hardly need to intentionally sabotage their OS.

98 still remains one of the safest OS's to be running. DOS is safer yet.

101% agreed :thumbup

July 11, 2006 will bring a close to Extended Support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me as part of the Microsoft Lifecycle Policy.

Considering how close that deadline is, i can see how they wouldn't want to make any more patches.

i think M$ is using a skill that we are unaware of

to force 98 user to upgrade

whats the big deal any way

M$ should let us enjoy our legit products that we payed for

with full support from M$ :angry::angry:

I have xp computers but hardly use them

thinking about downgrading them :thumbup

Because i love win98SE and gonna use it til the end of time

SO to All you software developers

if you cut support for win98 os you won't get support from me :thumbup

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Not only it's pushing poeple to upgrade to XP, but also to buy a new PC to install this XP POS.

They won't make an OS that make 2 years old computers behaving like recent dual-core ones. No, Never. Too much stake in the hardware industry.

And about security it's laughable:

3 years of daily internet use without firewall or virus guard and I never caught anything.

2 weeks with XP+SafeXP on "full safety" setting but with accidentaly the virus guard uninstalled and AntiVir detected no less than 320 dll infected!

:D

According to M$:

No. Microsoft had not received any information to indicate that this vulnerability had been publicly used to attack customers and had not seen any examples of proof of concept code published when this security bulletin was originally issued.
I think this vulnerability is only applicable in special circumstances, as it both requires cooperation on the part of the user and very low security settings (to the point of allowing ActiveX controls to run, as this is the basis of the attack).

I don't even have this one installed.

Xp is a joke.

It wont go 2-3-3-6 on my ram timings, I get blue sceens for no reason, every 3 or 4th boot, I need to insert the xp disk and repair it.

Files wont delete, open ports, un-needed services, secret rootkits, limited support ( XP SP1 is toast soon too)

I'm not going away from 98se, I think the only hole is flash player, I cant get the"dont leave crap on my disk" to stay on.

I really dont like adobe either.

If anything , I'll go freebsd or linux

July 11, 2006 will bring a close to Extended Support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me as part of the Microsoft Lifecycle Policy.

Considering how close that deadline is, i can see how they wouldn't want to make any more patches.

Yes, less than one month to go for customers who paid 6/7 years ago. Thats not sabotage but plain economics. I keep using Win98 anyway.

I like the simplicity from Win98se and the DOS mode. Simple=control=save.

When the security thing is mentioned, I say one word. Rootkit.

edit: 4 updates for win98 om windowsupdate. End of my theory...

Edited by noguru

Xp is a joke.

It wont go 2-3-3-6 on my ram timings, I get blue sceens for no reason, every 3 or 4th boot, I need to insert the xp disk and repair it.

Files wont delete, open ports, un-needed services, secret rootkits, limited support ( XP SP1 is toast soon too)

I'm not going away from 98se, I think the only hole is flash player, I cant get the"dont leave crap on my disk" to stay on.

I really dont like adobe either.

If anything , I'll go freebsd or linux

LOL that reminds me of when I always gotten ***STOP:0x000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when playing a game when my old T-bird was overclocked with Windows XP but it was stable under Windows 98 SE. That's because it wasn't stable and Windows XP made the processor work harder. LOL.

It's unstable. Run Prime95 and it won't stand a chance!