How big is your Windows folder?

Cougar_333

64-Bit 11.4GB

52,471 files 9,747 folders....

This is not after a clean install, but I haven't installed much, Creative drivers, Steam... It's just about a clean install...

All said and done installing Windows took up 20GB of my drive...

Edited by Nakatomi2010

32 bit install here, with a Windows folder weighing in at 6.78 GB. This is running in a VMware virtual machine, though, not on real hardware (I don't have an extra HDD handy to install to). A good chunk of that (3.26 GB) is in the WinSxS directory. Another chunk (2.17 GB) is, as expected, in the System32 directory. The rest is scattered around in the other directories. Notepad is still redundantly in both the Windows directory and the System32 directory; you'd think they'd have fixed that by now. At least all the 16-bit legacy stuff is gone.

3,306.6 MB in size, and the Sytem32 Folder is 1,116.1 of that. This is a month old installation from an XP2 slipstreamed CD, with all the Windows Updates applyed using Autopatcher. If you use offline files, those are stored in a folder under the WINDOWS folder, and can contribute to the total size. Contrary to your findings, I have a winSXS of 24.1MB, so don't know why it's so much smaller by comparison.

• 2 weeks later...
This is my hole hdd 2g used(1000rpm lub it ;) )

os.jpg

How did you get your install so small. I'm using a 74GB Raptor for my install partition, so i'm trying to be as tight with the space as possible. Gonna set up a dual boot with XP pro.

Thanks

-s

Notepad is still redundantly in both the Windows directory and the System32 directory; you'd think they'd have fixed that by now.

I think this is needed for compatibility.

And I will report the size, once I have a new HD (running 64-bit). :D

But it's really annoying the WinS&S folder is so big. Doesn't it have something to do with .Net ?