[Question] Multi Boot with Reduced Sources

andregcasal

Hi all!

I've made my multi boot DVD successfully but i was hoping i could install OS's faster, using the Reduced Size of Source method from Gosh. So i changed the installation folders with the one's created in Gosh's method. It all works well until the GUI-mode setup asks for files inside DVD\I386 folder instead of DVD\ROOT\XP\PRO\i386.

Here's my setup:

DVD\ - DVD root

DVD\i386\ - Where the installation is looking for files.

DVD\ROOT\XP\PRO\I386 - Place where installation files are.

I found the layout.inf that contained all files the setup was asking for.

So I changed some lines to this:

[sourceDisksNames.x86]

1 = %cdname%,%cdtagfilei%,,\ROOT\XP\PRO\i386

2 = "%cd2name%","%cd2tagfilei%",,\ROOT\XP\PRO\cmpnents\tabletpc\i386

3 = "%cd2name%","%cd2tagfilei%",,\ROOT\XP\PRO\cmpnents\mediactr\i386

4 = "%cd2name%","%cd2tagfilei%",,\ROOT\XP\PRO\cmpnents\netfx\i386

100 = %spcdname%,%spcdtagfilei%,,\ROOT\XP\PRO\i386,1

...and changed a few more lines too.

The result was the same, the setup keeps asking for files in DVD\i386.

Until now I figured out that some file inside DVD\ROOT\XP\PRO\i386 is making the setup point to DVD\i386, just can't find which file is doing that.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by andregcasal

• 1 month later...

are you sure??? try to install XP from Win98 or maybe even from XP (not via boot sector) and you'll get some errors, 'cause it will use the information stored in the TXTSETUP.SIF that is in the DVD\Root\XPP1\I386, and in this file the SetupSourcePath is set to use files from the folder DVD\I386, *NOT* from DVD\Root\XPP1\I386, so you must change the data from "\" to "\Root\XPP1\".

Thanks guys but I edited SetupSourcePath value in all txtsetup.sif correctly and got the correct identifier files at root (WIN51, ...) too... Problem persists...

The only diference from this multi boot DVD and the Reduce Size Of Source method is the localion of the source folders, that doesn't seem to work like this. As anyone sucessfully made such a DVD?

Any guesses?

Edited by andregcasal

I've made my multi boot DVD successfully but i was hoping i could install OS's faster, using the Reduced Size of Source method from Gosh. So i changed the installation folders with the one's created by Gosh's method. It all works well until the GUI-mode setup asks for files inside DVD\I386 folder, that doesn't exists.

ok let me understand: you Reduced the Size of Source i386, right? Isn't there a possibility that the file that is missing was deleted when you Reduced the Size of Source i386??? 'cause it seems to be okay with your DVD, but you say that the problem persists.... check doing this with a full XP source (try using a Virtual Machine, only to test).

ok let me understand: you Reduced the Size of Source i386, right? Isn't there a possibility that the file that is missing was deleted when you Reduced the Size of Source i386??? 'cause it seems to be okay with your DVD, but you say that the problem persists.... check doing this with a full XP source (try using a Virtual Machine, only to test).
Yes, I have thought of that, but no way, I used a original, complete, untouched Windows CD. Something is making the installation look for files in the DVD source, just can't figure out what...

And has you may imagine, if i move the the reduced i386 folder into the DVD root, the installation runs with no problem, but of course i can only use one OS with a reduced source.

Hi Sonic!

You mean the txtsetup.sif created in C:\, the one inside the $WIN_NT$.~BT folder or the one inside the $WIN_NT$.~LS folder? I guess they're all the same... But i'll test to see, thanks!

Well, they really are all the same but are "cut down" from the original in DVD\ROOT\XPP1\I386. But anyway that's not the problem, i've allways used the txtsetup.sif created by the reduced source. It's not that either...

Edited by andregcasal

Oh I think i've figured out! :D

I'll test and report back in a moment.

EDIT: Hum, nop... That's a negative. I was hoping that editing layout.inf would make any diference but it doesn't.

Edited by andregcasal

• 2 weeks later...