advice on new case

Nerwin

90% of a case is personal preference. There will be people who swear by Lian-Li, Antec, Thermaltake, etc... if it has what you want in the case, and you like what you see, I'd say go for it.

see my sig for the case. i'm happy with it (tla-475 is the model) as it comes with a 550 W power supply (quite silent too) and offers good air flow inside. then again, as rendrag says, it's up to you whether you want a sober case or a fancy one.

A case is nothing more than a frame to hold the real computer.

Only the most expensive cases come with a PSU that's really large enough for todays PC's.

If a case is deep enough from front to back to accomodate a full sized Mobo and long CD drives without the drives banging into the mobo, then it's deep enough. If it's high enough to have at least five drive bays, then its tall enough.

Bubble lights on the front and chrome and glitter don't make the computer run one bit better.

All that glitz just sucks up money that could be better spent on a faster CPU or more ram, etc.

I go by the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid).

OH,,,,on air flow? Leave the side panels off and you'll have all the air flow you need. :thumbup:lol:

And, if you are going to use 7200 rpm hard drives,,,,put coolers on every one of them.

Like This.

My CPU and HD's (2) all stay at room temperature. :thumbup

Good Luck,

B)

You really dont need HDD fans as they wont affect performance and just end up making more unescessary noise. All you need is a well ventilated case which most Antec and Thermaltake cases are anyway.

You really dont need HDD fans as they wont affect performance and just end up making more unescessary noise. All you need is a well ventilated case which most Antec and Thermaltake cases are anyway.

well i can barely hear the fan, its running at low speed, but it does cool my hdd about 8C more than without a fan.

The hard drives will last longer at lower temperatures.

Also, most high-speed drives (10,000+ RPM) generate so much heat that they will overheat if not actively cooled. I have a 15K RPM server drive that got hot enough to melt slightly the plastic coating on the desk it was sitting on while being formatted.

I'm not a Thermal Dynamics Engineer, but I am indeed an electronics/computer tech of over 40 years.

It would take a decent sized truck to haul away all the devices I've seen die from heat over the years.

Heat Kills....that's just a fact of life in the Electronics world.

Several years ago I lost four IBM Deathstar drives in one (hot) summer to heat fatique.

They were properly mounted in their little drive bays in an open case.

The last one died while I was using it. I reached in to take it out and it literally BURNED my hand.

You could have fried burgers on it!

Anyone who says that heat doesn't kill hard drives just doesn't have a clue......

I couldn't care less whether anyone else uses my technique to cool a drive or not.

I present it only as a help, for those who will be helped.

I've had very favorable comments about it from other technicians that have seen it and tried it.

It does "Work for me".

A word to the wise, is sufficient.

Cheers!

Andromeda43

I love my Coolermaster Wavemaster case.

2 front 80mm fans that blow through the case and over the hard drives, with one rear 80mm exhaust fan, and an optional top 80mm fan. I also have the window panel for this case.

But yeh, a lot has to do with personal preference.